Red Algae ID

Flr19reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, does anyone know what kind of algae this is? Any experience with this type? I'm able to brush it off pretty easily on rocks but tends to grow right at the base of corals. Had a beautiful patch of gsp for years but it's been declining due to this algae.

20190822_234227.jpg

OP
OP
F

Flr19reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, how to get rid of it?? Thinking about using Reef Rx Fluconazole. It's been gradually getting worse in some spots and out competing corals.. no good!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks, how to get rid of it?? Thinking about using Reef Rx Fluconazole. It's been gradually getting worse in some spots and out competing corals.. no good!
ChemiClean works great. Increased water flow and reduction in feeding will help also

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano is usually from low nutrients and low flow. Not always though. I have had it in the past and just blew it off with a turkey baster. Eventually it stopped coming back. The other is a macro algae so that will be trickier. Manual removal is prob your best bet.

OP
OP
F

Flr19reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it's Gracilaria either, which seems more "wirey" in appearance, this is more feathery, almost like tiny leaves (that grow on & kill corals). Tiny red feathers

OP
OP
F

Flr19reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll look into the ChemiClean, crank up the flow and just try to yank em out.

TankYou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar infestation with an unknown red turf like algae, I could never identify it, it was very springy and you could easily tear it off the rock but the roots would always stick to the rock and the pieces would just make new colonies. I ended up buying this guy who literally destroyed it all in a week. I was to the point do breaking the tank down that’s how bad it was.

DD1775AE-82F0-42D3-878D-90567417C3A3.jpeg FF825D3B-E843-4309-8D81-C6851FE46E6C.jpeg

OP
OP
F

Flr19reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rabbit fish? Any particular variation? My only concern is my tank size, it's a 45 gallon/ long, my not fair so well, I'd probably have to find a small one...

TankYou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a scribbled rabbit fish, they don’t get huge, if compatible with your tank mates you might be able to borrow one from your LFS and return it for a partial credit. Mine did well with a clown, 6 line wrasse and a neon dottyback, didn’t bother the other fish and they didn’t bother him. Some say they may bother stony corals, I didn’t have a problem.

OP
OP
F

Flr19reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you TankYou, I've heard of Rabbits being (not talking about Foxfaces) pretty voracious algae eaters but never really pulled the trigger on buying one. May have to jump on one next time I see one. My LFS sometimes has them but they're usually pretty big, tend to steer clear of bigger fish due to tank size of course

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back