Red (algae?) that disappears overnight?

Algae_Farmer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy, need help ID'ing this red/maroon algae-like stuff that grows VERY quickly all day long, then literally disappears at night, and starts up again the next day. I can practically see it growing. It comes off rocks and gravel really easily, but it'll come right back in a few days. Sometimes it'll have bubbles in it, especially on the rock. Tank is about a year old, NO3 and PO4 are near zero most of the time, other parameters are pretty normal.

Just curious what it is / if it's something to worry about?
Thanks in advance!

20200906_125200.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the cyanobacteria is in the genus Oscillatoria. It gets its name because it is actually motile. If you look at it under a microscope, you can see the strands moving. If you stir it up, the strands will slowly reform a mat. The mats can also expand and contract based on light.

Jay

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend looking at it through a microscope.
Ostreopsis (Dinos) enter the water column at night,
Cyano (red slime) can also look less invasive at night. Edit: Tx Mr Hemdal for the clarification

Your very low NO3 and PO4 is a warning to Dinos.

The treatment for both is very different. Good luck

OP
OP
Algae_Farmer

Algae_Farmer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the cyanobacteria is in the genus Oscillatoria. It gets its name because it is actually motile. If you look at it under a microscope, you can see the strands moving. If you stir it up, the strands will slowly reform a mat. The mats can also expand and contract based on light.

Jay

@Jay Hemdal OK, here's a few pics through my scope, apologize for the image quality. Does this look like oscillatoria?

20200923_184433.jpg 20200923_183311.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal OK, here's a few pics through my scope, apologize for the image quality. Does this look like oscillatoria?

20200923_184433.jpg 20200923_183311.jpg
Oscillatoria is green, and I think only in FW, I was just giving that as an example of motile cyanobacteria, I'm not sure that the marine red counterpart is named, but that is it.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oscillatoria is green, and I think only in FW, I was just giving that as an example of motile cyanobacteria, I'm not sure that the marine red counterpart is named, but that is it.

Jay
I believe its called phycoerythrin

OP
OP
Algae_Farmer

Algae_Farmer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll let you know, it's still not gone. I tried lots of water changes, cleaned up some corners of the sump where organic debris had lingered, increased flow directed at substrates where it grows, reducing light periods, I did a few days of blackout, reduced feeding, etc. But in time it'd always come back slowly but surely. Now I'm trying a double chemiclean treatment (treat, wait 48 hrs, treat again, 48 hrs, big water change, add carbon and dose microbacter 7). I don't really like the chemiclean "nuclear option", but also kind of tired of dealing with the cyano. I'll report results in a week or two...

ranger8787

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but I have the exact same stuff you mention / describe. Almost disappears at night, grows quickly during the day, sometimes has bubbles, same color, etc. Were you able to get rid of and how? Thanks.

OP
OP
Algae_Farmer

Algae_Farmer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ranger8787 Turned out It was definately cyanobacteria. Chemiclean definately helps, not my favorite technique as it's an antibiotic. I've had minor outbreaks that seem to subside over time on they're own. Also as the tank matures its less frequent and pervasive.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back