Red Algae?

scubaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Ya'll,

I have a question. My NO3 & PO4 levels have been extreamly high for awhile. I had GHA in my DT for months and then about a month ago, they dropped almost overnight to NO3=0 and PO4=.021. All the GHA that was left in my DT was eaten up by my CUC.

I had a bacterial issue with my YT which made her sensitive to light, so I cut my DT lights off for about a week. My NO3 & PO4 levels jumped back up to >50 & >.6 respectively. I had been having issues with chaeto growing, and I had some GHA growing in my refugium so I had been leaving my refugium light on becauseand I figured it would help with the high levels again until i got done treating the DT for my YT issue.

Yesterday i noticed I had these red patches starting in my fuge. theyre soft and dissapate when touched.

Anybody have any idea what this is and if its good or bad?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Red Algae.jpg

OP
OP
scubaboy

scubaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your responses.

My coralline is taking off like crazy in my DT and I have some in my sump too, but this seams to be soft.

I thought cyano only showed up when nutrient levels were at 0?

I had been having issue growing chaeto, found out the water from one LFS had a TDS level of 11. I quit using them a month ago and have done several 20-25% WC's.

Another problem I had when I got my ICP test back 3 weeks ago, Iron was real high, I found a rusting magnet on my heater in the sumnp. All magnets are now removed so with these two major issues gone, my water quality has improved greatly.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back