Red Brittle Starfish had BABIES. Care/Feeding Advice? Will pistol shrimp/goby pair OR bristle worm eat them?

TJReefers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I've had a red, brittle starfish for a few months and recently saw about 10 miniature (Image 2 is one of the 10 starfish), clear brittle starfish emerge from a hole in my live rock under a hammer coral, ranging in size of 2-5 mm diameter. These little guys have been hanging in there for a few weeks and you just see their tentacles floating out of the live rock.

Can't find any literature on feeding/care/predators information. Do any of you have experience with this? I am obsessed with these little ones. They're so cool and probably my proudest moment so far with my tank journey. I don't want them to die OR get eaten. They're so small, I'm even worried about my hermits eating them!

Will I have complications if I add a pistol shrimp/goby pair (Image 1) ? I saw this couple in the store a day ago and have been sitting on the decision.
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

SIDE NOTE:
There's a bristle worm (Image 3) that randomly emerged, but my friend said it's the "good kind" indicating a healthy tank-- the monster is freaking MASSIVE almost entire length of the live rock I have in there, 8", but that's just the part that has come out of hiding so potentially it's bigger. Also had a recent explosion of spirorbid worms.

My first tank: 10 gal peninsula AIO 11months old. 25-40% Water changes weekly religiously.
Parameters: 1.026, NH3 & NO2 are all 0.00 ppm, NO3 (range 0.00 ppm - 15/20ppm at end of the week prompting water changes. (My BF says I feed too much but I love my clowns fat and it seems to stop aggression for the small tank with two clowns).

IMAGE 1 Pistol shrimp and Randall's Prawn Goby I want to purchase at the store.
1631118860152.jpeg

Image 2 One of the baby brittle starfish
1631118938044.png

Image 3 Partial capture of the bristle worm (sorry for the image quality)
1631119003036.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The stars will find enough to feed on,,,,,,, detritus, uneaten food, algae, etc

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back