Red bubbles on my mushroom rock

Chelymay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, new reefer here with a JBJ 45 rimless AIO but I have had freshwater tanks for 10+ years. I decided I would jump in to the saltwater (pun intended).

I have had this up and running for about 3+ months-ish. It has live rock. I have 2 sets of Clowns, a Green Chromis (they only had one and it’s adorable so I bought it) and a Royal Gramma plus 2 snails.

I have two hammer corals that are doing great plus one coral that I don’t know what it is. It looks like silly putty when it’s closed up and long green grassy looking when it’s open, love it and it’s doing great as well. I have some sea grass.

I have lost a flowerpot coral, ouch! LFS didn’t tell me they are hard to keep but my bad for being impulsive. Do your research right

I have question about my mushroom corals which I have had for months. I moved it while I was was cleaning.

I noticed that they did their shrinking thing they do from time to time but I noticed some red bubbles on the rock they are on.

It is no where else in my tank, so after I searched the internet I came to the “ to much information” conclusion.

My water parameters are great (calcium is a little high but I am sorting it out) and I have great lighting. My fish are happy and healthy. I have great bio, I am using carbon in the filtration and I use ion and calcium supplements plus reefroids to direct feed my corals.

I do have a UV sterilizer but no protein skimmer or refugium yet.

I can tell you anything you want to know about a planted Discus tank but reefs not so much.

So I am asking for some help from you guys , who know what you are doing.

What is this and should I like it in my tank or not. I am hoping it will turn into something cool but again I have no idea.

Tanks (lol)everyone!

3CA02396-5D3E-4F42-9525-C93C3681A9CD.jpeg

BaysEndReef

Anthony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be red bubble algae. I would start feeding smaller amounts, do more frequent water changes, and shorten your lighting schedule a bit. Also, you could try directing more flow toward that rock to see if the bubbles will release. :)

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might also be cyno. 3+ months is still a new tank and not yet stable. As BaysEnd said more flow will help. You can also use a baster and blow it off the rock manually. You did not mention your flow rate (gph/45) in the tank. Do you have a powerhead pump(s) in the tank? What are you using for your return pump?

OP
OP
Chelymay

Chelymay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might also be cyno. 3+ months is still a new tank and not yet stable. As BaysEnd said more flow will help. You can also use a baster and blow it off the rock manually. You did not mention your flow rate (gph/45) in the tank. Do you have a powerhead pump(s) in the tank? What are you using for your return pump?
Hi,
I cycled it for a month with live rock and substrate plus seeded the bio before I added the clowns. So it’s been more like four months altogether but I agree it is a new system for sure. I am trying to add things slowly. It’s not like freshwater at all. You can make mistakes with fresh without crashing or causing major issues.
Plus it is expensive when you make a reef mistake so I am trying to do the ounce of prevention method. I always have my magnifying glass out

I was able to get through the ugly stage with the diatoms by keeping the lights low but I upped the lighting for the corals and I am starting to see some diatom pop up.

I have two 16watt Pumps with a flow rate of 264 GPH each plus I just recently added two power heads 480 GPH each.
Is that good?
Thanks you guys, it’s great having nice people to help.

OP
OP
Chelymay

Chelymay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be red bubble algae. I would start feeding smaller amounts, do more frequent water changes, and shorten your lighting schedule a bit. Also, you could try directing more flow toward that rock to see if the bubbles will release. :)
How long do you suggest I run the lights?

I am always messing with them which can’t be good. I am learning to be consistent. Everything is so precise with reefing.

I am loving it though, I want my tank to look perfect like now but I tell myself to just enjoy the journey. But I can’t wait, ya know.

I am really grateful to everyone for your thoughts and advise

OP
OP
Chelymay

Chelymay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights are you running? What are the intensity and schedule?
NICREW 100 Watts Aquarium LED Reef Light, Dimmable Full Spectrum Marine LED for Saltwater Coral Fish Tanks.
I run it on the blue side and less white. I am not really sure what I should have it on or how long. My LFS just kinda told me to play around with it until I liked the results.
So any advice would be helpful I attached a picture of the light info and a picture of my tank. It is a work in progress so be gentle.
As you can see my mushrooms are tight snd it it the only rock that has the red bubbles, I felt them up, they are soft and mushy.
80F7B98B-2AE8-4139-8E73-41973C66A6D4.png
A11070E8-120B-455F-9799-B184765CD315.jpeg

BaysEndReef

Anthony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some flow on those bubbles. Whether from your return or a powerhead, they need flow. Reduce your light schedule by one hour in the front and one hour in the rear. Along with that schedule, reduce by 1 hour any other setting you have programmed. Report back in a month with the results. Stay on top of your water changes. :)

OP
OP
Chelymay

Chelymay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, new reefer here with a JBJ 45 rimless AIO but I have had freshwater tanks for 10+ years. I decided I would jump in to the saltwater (pun intended).

I have had this up and running for about 3+ months-ish. It has live rock. I have 2 sets of Clowns, a Green Chromis (they only had one and it’s adorable so I bought it) and a Royal Gramma plus 2 snails.

I have two hammer corals that are doing great plus one coral that I don’t know what it is. It looks like silly putty when it’s closed up and long green grassy looking when it’s open, love it and it’s doing great as well. I have some sea grass.

I have lost a flowerpot coral, ouch! LFS didn’t tell me they are hard to keep but my bad for being impulsive. Do your research right

I have question about my mushroom corals which I have had for months. I moved it while I was was cleaning.

I noticed that they did their shrinking thing they do from time to time but I noticed some red bubbles on the rock they are on.

It is no where else in my tank, so after I searched the internet I came to the “ to much information” conclusion.

My water parameters are great (calcium is a little high but I am sorting it out) and I have great lighting. My fish are happy and healthy. I have great bio, I am using carbon in the filtration and I use ion and calcium supplements plus reefroids to direct feed my corals.

I do have a UV sterilizer but no protein skimmer or refugium yet.

I can tell you anything you want to know about a planted Discus tank but reefs not so much.

So I am asking for some help from you guys , who know what you are doing.

What is this and should I like it in my tank or not. I am hoping it will turn into something cool but again I have no idea.

Tanks (lol)everyone!

3CA02396-5D3E-4F42-9525-C93C3681A9CD.jpeg
Hey all,

Update:
I removed the rock that had the mushrooms on it and put in my hospital tank which was empty with the intention of finding a tool to pick of the red bubble algae so it didn’t spread in my display tank.

I had 2 Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crabs and 2 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs in the tank with the mushroom rock and by the time I got around to start picking the red bubbles off, I noticed most of the bubbles were gone!!

I have heard that hermit crabs aren’t really interested in eating bubble algae but wow, I am not sure if it was a coincidence or what but I didn’t do anything but leave the rock and the hermits in the tank for the day.

Anyway I just wanted to share that with you guys because those little crabs did a great job.

Plus I changed my light schedule and put some flow on it in the hopes it doesn’t return. I am also hoping the mushrooms perk up again.

Tanks to you all

l attached an after picture of the rock!

Attachments

• F5E52606-5DF2-444C-A94A-E9BC107F48AF.jpeg
    F5E52606-5DF2-444C-A94A-E9BC107F48AF.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 19

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back