Red Corraline?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have pictures as my lights are off right now, but is there such a think as red corraline algae? I have numerous red patches on my rocks. I was told that you should be able to easily scrub these patches with a tooth brush to loosen it up as the first indication is that it was cyano. Low and behold, after scrubbing a few patches, I didnt make a dent. I scratched it with my nail and it felt rough and calcified like corraline. As such, does red corraline exist? Or could it potentially be something else?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have red coralline.

3C398CBD-9405-4197-B380-350151FEDB04.jpeg

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the identification. I was starting to panic. Bought new T5s, got some chemi clean and was about to go to town. So glad I asked the question.

Not going to lie to you...i dont like the look. Would much prefer the pink or the purple stuff..but I guess it beats GHA, Bubble and turf algae!!

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have pictures as my lights are off right now, but is there such a think as red corraline algae? I have numerous red patches on my rocks. I was told that you should be able to easily scrub these patches with a tooth brush to loosen it up as the first indication is that it was cyano. Low and behold, after scrubbing a few patches, I didnt make a dent. I scratched it with my nail and it felt rough and calcified like corraline. As such, does red corraline exist? Or could it potentially be something else?
Red coralline does exist, as does blue and gold varieties.

Purple and pink will go red (and flouresce orange) if exposed to air. Of course soon after it becomes the arctic white variety...

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back