Red corris wrasse health question

EliteGrove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in a juvenile red coris wrasse into my display tank (about 5 days ago) after a 2 week qt period. While in qt, it had a busted mouth, but it mostly healed, and it behaved and ate like normal. I didn't notice anything wrong with its poop.

A day after it went in my display it starts to poop greenish-white, stringy poop. In the display it behaves normally, it flips small rocks on the sand and is an aggressive feeder for being just a few days in the display. I haven't noticed any aggression from tankmates (a bluehead wrasse, adorned wrasse, 2 damsels, eibli angelfish, foxface, pajama cardinal, 2 ocellaris clowns, and a jawfish). It does have a nip on the dorsal fin, but nothing else aside from that. The only atypical behavior I see is that it will sometimes swim up and down the glass. I figure the poop issue is either from stress for moving to the display or potentially a missed

I added a picture of it below, it doesn't look like a worm since it isn't a consistent shape I would expect from a worm and the poop isn't purely white. I figure the poop issue is either from stress for moving to the display or potentially a bacterial infection I missed since I didn't medicate it during qt as I saw no issues besides the busted mouth and I didn't want to stress more than I had to. If I could get some insight on what it could be and ways to treat it that are reef safe, I would appreciate it. (I would like to avoid tearing down my display to catch this guy).

PXL_20220705_223850335.jpg PXL_20220705_231957773.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I put in a juvenile red coris wrasse into my display tank (about 5 days ago) after a 2 week qt period. While in qt, it had a busted mouth, but it mostly healed, and it behaved and ate like normal. I didn't notice anything wrong with its poop.

A day after it went in my display it starts to poop greenish-white, stringy poop. In the display it behaves normally, it flips small rocks on the sand and is an aggressive feeder for being just a few days in the display. I haven't noticed any aggression from tankmates (a bluehead wrasse, adorned wrasse, 2 damsels, eibli angelfish, foxface, pajama cardinal, 2 ocellaris clowns, and a jawfish). It does have a nip on the dorsal fin, but nothing else aside from that. The only atypical behavior I see is that it will sometimes swim up and down the glass. I figure the poop issue is either from stress for moving to the display or potentially a missed

I added a picture of it below, it doesn't look like a worm since it isn't a consistent shape I would expect from a worm and the poop isn't purely white. I figure the poop issue is either from stress for moving to the display or potentially a bacterial infection I missed since I didn't medicate it during qt as I saw no issues besides the busted mouth and I didn't want to stress more than I had to. If I could get some insight on what it could be and ways to treat it that are reef safe, I would appreciate it. (I would like to avoid tearing down my display to catch this guy).

Most fish poop what they eat. Its likely getting a source of algae while picking and if you are feeding mysis shrimp, It will poop white. Same applies to brine shrimp. diet is a good sign and often suggests no internal issues. Pinched belly would be another sign of internal issue.
As for flipping rocks, I had to rid of mine as it turned every coral and frag upside down in search of worms and other food sources

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed that mucus feces may not be an issue. The rock turning is a good sign as it shows the mouth damage has healed.
I would suggest you run prophylactic preventative quarantine as opposed to observational, as that just lets too many diseases get through.
Jay

OP
OP
E

EliteGrove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a 3in x 2in algae sheet plus a cube of emerald entree and a cube of marine cuisine (both include mysis and brine shrimp as an ingredient) each day so that would line up. It's belly has not been pinched for as long I've had it.
The few corals I have are glued and the rocks that make up the main rockwork weigh a few lbs so I'm not concerned, plus my bluehead wrasse also flips rocks, and has largely ignored those rocks.
Thank you very much.

OP
OP
E

EliteGrove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed that mucus feces may not be an issue. The rock turning is a good sign as it shows the mouth damage has healed.
I would suggest you run prophylactic preventative quarantine as opposed to observational, as that just lets too many diseases get through.
Jay
I'll do that with future fish I get. I'd prefer to avoid a potential scare like this in the future.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back