Red Eye Candy

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received macro & sponges from Gulf Coast EcoSystem.

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O yea I have been to their page before a few times lots of cool macroalgae just waiting until they resume shipping via USPS the shipping was more than I wanted to spend to ship plants

I spoke with Russ about shipping. Due to shipping problems during the summer, USPS was discontinued. He hopes to resume USPS in January.

Last edited:

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I have enjoyed the economical USPS shipping, I have often seen damage because of extended travel time. The sponges that I received were Yellow Ball, Orange Elephant Ear and Red Tree Sponge

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Were the sponges not completely submerged in water?

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were the sponges not completely submerged in water?

GCE ships bags full of water, Sponges are shipped in individual bags. Sponge feeding ports are functioning and all is well.

I will add this about sponges in air. I have had much Gulf Coast live rock shipped with wet towels and most all sponges did well in transit.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bortacladia is collected in 15’-130’ of water. It will bleach and go sexual if photo shocked. My 75G tank has more subdued lighting compared to 120G. Red Grapes in 129G are bleaching and dissolving.

image.jpg image.jpg

Botryocladia is a beautiful specimen that does very well in the marine aquarium. It features stiff, lightly calcified branches with bright red air bladders. It resembles a cluster of grapes and is sometimes referred to as Red Grape Caulerpa, although it is not a species of Caulerpa at all. Depending on the species, it can grow in rather large clumps attached to rocks and coral fragments in depths of up to 30 feet or more. It is very hardy and seems to do well in aquariums with good water quality and low to medium lighting. There are several varieties available in the aquarium trade, but identification can be difficult as they all have the same basic characteristics.​
Aquarium Care Information
Scientific Name: Botryocladia Sp.
Common Name: Red Grape, Red Berries
Origin: Gulf of Mexico, Atlantic, Pacific
Depth Collected: 15-130 feet
Maximum Height : 18"
Growth Rate: Slow
Light: Moderate
Temperature: 78-84
Propagation: Fragmentation, sporulation
Difficulty: Easy
Food Value: Very palatable, is readily eaten by Tangs and other herbivores
Nutrient Uptake: Good
Flow Rate: Moderate
Copyright © 2010 GCE All rights reserved. No part of this online publication may be reproduced in any form by any means without the expressed permission of the author. All images are the property of Gulf Coast Ecosystems unless otherwise noted and should not be reproduced or distributed without permission.​

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Patrick, nice to see that your tank is still thriving. I hope you are well. We are fine here in PA. My tank is doing well too. I actually have some beautiful red grape caulerpa in my fuge. It thrives there but I think the T5s in my display are too bright for it to do well there.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Patrick, nice to see that your tank is still thriving. I hope you are well. We are fine here in PA. My tank is doing well too. I actually have some beautiful red grape caulerpa in my fuge. It thrives there but I think the T5s in my display are too bright for it to do well there.

Seahorses & Motorcycles,
Glad for your good health & Spirit. I claim the same here. I have downsized all macro growout systems:
Eight 55G removed from inside. More than 12KGal converted to lotus & hardy Lilly. 75% of 20’ by 40’ greenhouse is converted to ornamental plant growout.

I will shortly post a thread on Red Grapes, Botryocladia. Look at the link that I posted. Depth collected is 15’-130’. It’s not very bright at those depths. When I get it from the divers, it is a deep burgundy color that I find gorgeous. If I photo shock it, it loses its flotation berries and melts. If I gradually increase intensity burgundy changes to fire engine red to orange yellow under intense light. I did not find orange yellow attractive. Fire engine red & burgundy are gorgeous. Can you post some pictures here? I’ll check out your build.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can post a link to my google photos. Here is a pic of the red grape in my refugium. It is a nice bright burgundy, although with so many blue diodes in the cheap par 30 light, it's hard to see the color in its true brilliance.

Here is a pic of a small sprig in my display tank under the HOT5s. It definitely does not do as well. It grows in little patches here and there in the display. I should try putting it in a more shaded area and see how that goes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
I can post a link to my google photos. Here is a pic of the red grape in my refugium. It is a nice bright burgundy, although with so many blue diodes in the cheap par 30 light, it's hard to see the color in its true brilliance.

Here is a pic of a small sprig in my display tank under the HOT5s. It definitely does not do as well. It grows in little patches here and there in the display. I should try putting it in a more shaded area and see how that goes.

Yes, it needs reduced lighting. image.jpg image.jpg

Back