Red film in the sand

ChrisProctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I'm hoping someone can help me identify what the red film is on the sand near a rock. It appears that it's only near that one rock and I have no idea how to get rid of it. I believe it's pretty common so if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it! Thanks, Chris

20180809_140648.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano,
what kind of lighting are you using and what are your nutrients?

OP
OP
C

ChrisProctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano,
what kind of lighting are you using and what are your nutrients?
Hi! This is a 32 gal biocube with led lighting. The only thing I add to the tank, other than water changes are Kent super buffer-dkh, if the alkalinity is low and sometimes Prime, if the nitrates are high.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! This is a 32 gal biocube with led lighting. The only thing I add to the tank, other than water changes are Kent super buffer-dkh, if the alkalinity is low and sometimes Prime, if the nitrates are high.

Here is what I have found that cause cyano
High phosphates or nitrates. One needs to keep the nutrients balanced between .02 to .04 phosphates .03 is your golden number and nitrates around 3 to 5 ppm or a little higher with the nitrates.
Not using RO/DI water and if you are the RO membrane needs to be replaced
Also lighting. The more white spectrum and time, tends to agitate to cyano

If you are going to treat/Nuke the tank, I would suggest ultralife red slime remover, I have had better results than others and you do not have to do a %20 water change after 48 hours. You will need to add an air stone and use a small air pump to the tank. When using cyano removers, the remover deplete the oxygen and you critters suffocate.

if the nitrates are high

Dose some carbon and bump up your water change amount to export the nitrates. Going back to my statement above I would say your issue is just a balancing issue of nutrients.

Work in getting down the Nitrates, if the cyano spreads more the treat the tank and go back to balancing the nutrients:)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back