red flatworms in sump, how to get rid of?

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i noticed that I have a growing number of red flatworms in my sump/fuge, however, none in my DT which could be possibly due to my leopard wrasse eating them. So how could i get ride of them without going though the hassle and problems of of treating with flatworm exit to entire system. Any experience or help appreciated.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a large enough area maybe put your wrasse down there for a little while or get a second one to go down there and then back to the DT

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a large enough area maybe put your wrasse down there for a little while or get a second one to go down there and then back to the DT
I was thinking of just getting a six line just for that but not sure if a good long term home i will never catch mine lol

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try flatworm eXit by salifert. Many swear by it.
I agree but i don't want to run though my whole system and deal with the process. Now that i think of it, I may be able to shut off pumps run it in sump with a power head then do a full sump water change. hmmmm

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of just getting a six line just for that but not sure if a good long term home i will never catch mine lol
A six line would be a nice choice but if you’re heavily infested, it may not take care of the entire problem. But would definitely help to manage it.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree but i don't want to run though my whole system and deal with the process. Now that i think of it, I may be able to shut off pumps run it in sump with a power head then do a full sump water change. hmmmm
The sump would be easier to manage. The toxins from the die-off would be easier to remove. You could use the skimmer and a complete water change.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are in your sump they are In your display 100%
You just don’t see them cause the wrasse keeps them in the rocks.

just dose the whole system

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just turn off the pumps, fill the sump with fresh water, let it sit for a few minutes, then drain it. Would not hurt to get a maxi jet power head and attach a clear hose and use it to wash the sides of the sump and dislodge all the worms. Then you could use it to drain the sump.

eschaton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only downside of flatworm eXit is when the flatworms die, they release a toxin which is fatal to echinoderms. When I dosed it my Tuxedo urchin was fine, but lots of my mini-brittlestars basically fell apart, with it taking the better part of a year for the population to recover.

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got me thinking I am liking SandJ suggestion if freshwater does kill them it would be a lot safer than the "exit" but i guess as glassmunky said they are in whole system and probably return to the protection in the sump at some point Geez! now i leaning back to a sixline down there permanently.

eschaton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, thinking about it more deeply, I don't see the problem here.

Red planaria are an issue because they lay on coral, irritating them and blocking out light. Even if they are thriving in your sump, as long as your sixline keeps them in check in your display tank, they aren't actually harming anything at all.

Similarly, things like aiptasia, vermetid snails, etc in a sump are not a big deal. They just absorb nutrients just like fuge fauna. Hell, some people actually have aiptasia-only refugiums.

The only real downside is they could have a die-off in your sump en masse in the future, which would pollute the tank. But lots of things can die off en masse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah maybe just get a Six line for it and then move to DT or rehome it. I'd try the natural route before I'd use chemicals.
that is what i am going to do, I agree i don't like always resorting to chemicals. I like trying to create the most balanced natural ecosystem before I resort to chemicals. I can get one sixline and add to one of my QT's that has a Matted filefish to eat my aptaisia. lol

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, thinking about it more deeply, I don't see the problem here.

Red planaria are an issue because they lay on coral, irritating them and blocking out light. Even if they are thriving in your sump, as long as your sixline keeps them in check in your display tank, they aren't actually harming anything at all.

Similarly, things like aiptasia, vermetid worms, etc in a sump are not a big deal. They just absorb nutrients just like fuge fauna. Hell, some people actually have aiptasia-only refugiums.

The only real downside is they could have a die-off in your sump en masse in the future, which would pollute the tank. But lots of things can die off en masse.
Kinda agreeing with you as well but I think the six line would be a good way to control the overpopulation and just maintain. thanks

eschaton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda agreeing with you as well but I think the six line would be a good way to control the overpopulation and just maintain. thanks

Keep in mind that sixlines like to jump, and if you rehome him temporarily into your sump, it's possible (depending upon water level) he might be able to get clear out of the sump and kill himself.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
flatworm exit works really well. What corals do you have in your tank? They're probably in your DT too, so no getting around it, IMO. Or for now siphon out as many as you can from the sump, or do a 100% change from the sump like you say and then watch the DT.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sixline wrasse in the sump, Flatwork stop by pohls or attempt to siphon them

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is what i am going to do, I agree i don't like always resorting to chemicals. I like trying to create the most balanced natural ecosystem before I resort to chemicals. I can get one sixline and add to one of my QT's that has a Matted filefish to eat my aptaisia. lol
Cool beans good idea!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue in my fuge. Even draining out most of the water and 5x the dosage of flat worm exit over and over they still came back. Because they will be in pipes, skimmer ect... you will not get rid of them. Your best hope is to control them as best you can.
I finally decided to get rid of them. Replaced the fuge tank and all the pipe, rock, sand, fittings ect.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back