Red Gracilaria and pH?

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a 2 small "stalks" of red gracilaria, about 2" wide and 3" tall for my 10 gallon. More for the looks than nutrient removal. I don't think this amount will even make a dent in the nutrients, but i read that it can alter the pH if it's not on reverse light cycle, due to the CO2 it releases in the dark. Is this really a cause for concern or do i need A LOT of macroaglae to really have an impact?

I have an HOB filter and powerhead so there's plenty of gas exchange if that matters.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a 2 small "stalks" of red gracilaria, about 2" wide and 3" tall for my 10 gallon. More for the looks than nutrient removal. I don't think this amount will even make a dent in the nutrients, but i read that it can alter the pH if it's not on reverse light cycle, due to the CO2 it releases in the dark. Is this really a cause for concern or do i need A LOT of macroaglae to really have an impact?

I have an HOB filter and powerhead so there's plenty of gas exchange if that matters.

Good gas exchange is critical. Oxygen is most important, pH not so much.

One month ago, I started a 30G macro lagoon and because I have 55G stands & tanks and I liked the progress so much, I will shortly upgrade to 55G.

image.jpg image.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 80 38.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back