Red hair on snails shells

sivakc89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I found these snails in a local aquarium does anyone know what these are (guy in the stores says he doesn’t know the name of the snail) would you help identify the name of this snail and also the red hair like stuff looks nice but is it algae ?? What algae is this ?? Would be a ton of help if someone can answer.. thanks

91A8BAC7-2A59-4E29-AEB4-88D13C27C014.jpeg

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it spread on a tank that jus got cycled? Is it ok if it spreads on my dry rock? ( Fish only tank)
I don't have experience, so I cannot answer. From quick research, it looks like it can be an issue, but may go away over time as you stabilize nutrient control. Try to look it up to determine for your case.

OP
OP
S

sivakc89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have experience, so I cannot answer. From quick research, it looks like it can be an issue, but may go away over time as you stabilize nutrient control. Try to look it up to determine for your case.
Thanks a lot

Enzodog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it out, clean shell. I didn’t know when I bought a snail like that and let me tell you, it’s awful. Red hair turf alga. I still have it a year later but urchin helped alot to get rid of it. Grows on rocks, cant really pull it off. So remove snail and get A different one. Worst algae out there!

SaltyDuggz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a trochus to me based on the shell shape. Most turbo snails I had experience with have a more rounded shells at the top. Hard to tell from that picture I have two in my tank and they have the same "hair" on the shells but not quite as much as that one pictured. I left it and have not seen any negative impact on my tank. It hasn't started growing anywhere. Although, my two snails bread in the tank and now I have tons of tiny trochus!

OP
OP
S

sivakc89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it out, clean shell. I didn’t know when I bought a snail like that and let me tell you, it’s awful. Red hair turf alga. I still have it a year later but urchin helped alot to get rid of it. Grows on rocks, cant really pull it off. So remove snail and get A different one. Worst algae out there!
Thanks a lot, I’ll try to clean them if unsuccessful I’ll get rid of them.

OP
OP
S

sivakc89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a trochus to me based on the shell shape. Most turbo snails I had experience with have a more rounded shells at the top. Hard to tell from that picture I have two in my tank and they have the same "hair" on the shells but not quite as much as that one pictured. I left it and have not seen any negative impact on my tank. It hasn't started growing anywhere. Although, my two snails bread in the tank and now I have tons of tiny trochus!
I have clean them with a pedicure brush took a long time but managed to remove 99% of it without any chemicals as these guys gotta go back into the tank, washed them in RO water and have quarrentined them with tank water for a couple of days the again wash them and add them, Hope this would help??? And thanks for asking me to clean them!

Attachments

• 56DF9DBC-2246-405F-8A21-C98F0B959B24.jpeg
    56DF9DBC-2246-405F-8A21-C98F0B959B24.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 41

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but just curious if the turf algae ever came back on the shells and, more importantly, did any ever show up in your main tank?

Just bought some trochus snails from a local store that I'd never been to before. (My LFS never has them)
Red turf algae on the shells.
Too tough for toothbrush.
Dental pick mostly works but tedious work.
Will try scrubbing with H2O2 tomorrow but don't want to get any on the soft parts of the snails so feels unlikely for me to get all the turf algae.

Snails are in non-medicated QT with no other animals so, on that note:
-- Is there anything worth considering to dose into QT that won't likely just kill the snails?
*reasonable risk of snail death is acceptable over turf algae in my DT in the long run (((apologies for stepping into moral gray area there)))

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back