red lined wrasse in QT

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh I sent them an email and said I have pics and the body if need be. I forgot to add some salt, thanks for that!

I'll probably just take a refund if that's possible. At least now I've seen one in person so if my LFS screws it up and gets me the wrong fish I should be able to tell.
LOL that's one way to have a positive takeaway from this!

My LFS is amazing....but they are kind of a turn and burn operation. I only go there for specialized products that I need ASAP. Or impulse fish. That too.

OP
OP
mattzang

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL that's one way to have a positive takeaway from this!

My LFS is amazing....but they are kind of a turn and burn operation. I only go there for specialized products that I need ASAP. Or impulse fish. That too.

heh, I have basically two LFS and one is really bad. They tried to tell me ornatissimus was totally invert safe and a good fit for my tank. When I asked about h. claudia and h. biocellatus they looked at me confused. Also didn't have any sand with the ornatissimus. Luckily I had asked about the fish on here or I probably would've got one.

my other LFS is pretty decent. They should be good to go, they're pretty expensive, but they'll coordinate with me to get it from them while still in the bag. That seems better than LA mailing the fish 60 miles and having it sit in a warehouse for a night.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use General Cure with Seachen Focus and food

I just lost a jawfish that I treated with Metroplex in food twice, for 14 days each in QT. GC eliminates internal parasites and internal worms, Metro only internal parasites. I believe internal worms killed my cute little jawfish. I'm kicking myself for not using GC. I already had Metro and was too cheap to go buy GC, that was a mistake

I am going treat every fish in QT this way going forward, no exceptions

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guy soak General Cure with food? What's the ratio if so?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guy soak General Cure with food? What's the ratio if so?

Yes GC + Focus.

1 scoop of focus + 1 scoop of GC (the scoop that comes with focus). Add to 1 tablespoon of prepared frozen food.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drip acclimation often kills the fish due to ammonia burn. I agree with @HotRocks — match salinity and float then release. Sorry for the loss.

OP
OP
mattzang

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drip acclimation often kills the fish due to ammonia burn. I agree with @HotRocks — match salinity and float then release. Sorry for the loss.

you think that's what happened? i thought there would be redness around the gills if it was ammonia burn.. then again the fish is red lol

is there a quicker way to match salinity? if memory serves I had the QT at .021 and the bag was .018, so I just kind of scooped out some water in the tank and replaced with rodi. in retrospect I probably didn't need to drip it for that long with a difference of only .003. sucks to be doing this stuff for the first time and possibly losing a fish because of it

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you think that's what happened? i thought there would be redness around the gills if it was ammonia burn.. then again the fish is red lol

is there a quicker way to match salinity? if memory serves I had the QT at .021 and the bag was .018, so I just kind of scooped out some water in the tank and replaced with rodi. in retrospect I probably didn't need to drip it for that long with a difference of only .003. sucks to be doing this stuff for the first time and possibly losing a fish because of it

If you are ordering from live aquaria they almost always arrive at 1.018-1.019. I just set my QT around 1.017 on delivery day. You don't have to worry about being lower. Then I just top off with saltwater over the coming days until the salinity is where I want it.

Some wrasse just don't ship well. I haven't had any trouble with halichoeres it's usually the macropharyngodon that don't ship well.

The easiest way to lower salinity is as you mentioned. Just remove tank water and add back fresh RODI.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I generally call and ask what salinity they will ship the fish. Acclimating IMO is a big killer and very overrated. I’ve not spent more than 20 minutes acclimating in over a decade. When I used to I lost a lot of fish the first day. As soon as the bag is open the excrement in the bag turns to ammonia very quickly. This is why drip acclimating is such bad practice, particularly over such a long period of time.

Conventional wisdom on this has changed a lot over time. I’ve never been a fan.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually i bought red line wrasse from liveaquaria couple weeks ago. i floated bag in my sump for temperature and than added few cups of my qt water. it was like every few minutes cup.... after that placed fish in qt for 1 week of observation. she ate well so i added prazi,than 2 weeks of copper, one week observation and one more round of prazi( added prazi yesterday) plan to look at her for couple of days and i think dt.

OP
OP
mattzang

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally call and ask what salinity they will ship the fish. Acclimating IMO is a big killer and very overrated. I’ve not spent more than 20 minutes acclimating in over a decade. When I used to I lost a lot of fish the first day. As soon as the bag is open the excrement in the bag turns to ammonia very quickly. This is why drip acclimating is such bad practice, particularly over such a long period of time.

Conventional wisdom on this has changed a lot over time. I’ve never been a fan.

would you say it'd have been safe/smarter to just float and release with the .003 difference or is that too much of a difference?

OP
OP
mattzang

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually i bought red line wrasse from liveaquaria couple weeks ago. i floated bag in my sump for temperature and than added few cups of my qt water. it was like every few minutes cup.... after that placed fish in qt for 1 week of observation. she ate well so i added prazi,than 2 weeks of copper, one week observation and one more round of prazi( added prazi yesterday) plan to look at her for couple of days and i think dt.

glad to hear it! they're really beautiful fish, can't wait to get one and it not die on me.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would you say it'd have been safe/smarter to just float and release with the .003 difference or is that too much of a difference?

I would just adjust the QT down. Within +/- .001 is as far as I would go. The least stressful environment you can provide the better.

Keep in mind these guys when finally reaching is have been removed from natural environment. Kept in holding tanks at however many facilities for a couple weeks time. Rode on airplanes, ships, boxtrucks etc.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have brought it closer over 15-20 minutes, personally.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back