Red Nuisance Macro

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hi, I’ve been dealing with this stuff for a few years. It’s constrained to my sump but it’s stubborn and had a penchant for growing directly in the middle of zoa colonies. Treated for bryopsis over the summer. Didn’t do anything to stuff. I also have a tomini tang/hermit crabs and snails and they don’t touch the stuff either. Open to any ID and suggestions for removal. To this point doing manually had kept it in check but I’d like it gone.
AE9046E6-227D-482A-A273-2D3D62A90A76.jpeg
C4A90C89-F7C0-4DAB-8C97-A3984A772F03.jpeg

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great ID site above. Blues do make ID next to impossible, especially with red things. I'm guessing gracilaria hayi or a halymenia sp. I'd need white pictures to be sure.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nanoreefer4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good macro algae, just take it out and throw it if nothing eat it. Another way for nutrients export

OP
OP
littlebigreef

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Looks more like dictyota to me.

This looks even closer.

@Nanoreefer4ever I've been manually removing it for sometime. The problem is that its got a penchant for landing and growing on in the middle of zoa colonies... to the point of choking them out if not managed.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This looks even closer.

@Nanoreefer4ever I've been manually removing it for sometime. The problem is that its got a penchant for landing and growing on in the middle of zoa colonies... to the point of choking them out if not managed.
If you can take the rocks it's on out, including zoas, I would get a bucket of tank water (maybe leftover water from a water change) and a brush and brush off the algae as best as you can. Have another bucket handy with saltwater to do a final rinse before putting it back in the tank. Any loose pieces of algae can take hold and spread, so pay careful attention when returning things back to your tank.
I dealt with this stuff before in the 90's when fiji rock was more common. It's okay in a refugium, but it only takes a small chunk to take hold before it becomes a problem.

OP
OP
littlebigreef

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I hear tangs and rabbit fish love to eat it.

Unfortunately not in this case. I manually removed some off the racks last night. Looking like I'm just going to cut new eggcrate, swap those out, and then grab it in the few other places its going. I had been hoping for a Reef Flux - Bryopsis like solution here but good ole fashion elbow grease seems like my only option.

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things that work on bryopsis should work on other macros from what I've read. But it works on ALL macros, so not an option for planted tanks.

OP
OP
littlebigreef

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Things that work on bryopsis should work on other macros from what I've read. But it works on ALL macros, so not an option for planted tanks.

This hasn’t been my experience. I mentioned before I treated for bryopsis over the summer (using Reef Flux) and both this stuff and the chaeto were unaffected.

Back