Red Ogo Bleaching

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ktn87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some from AlgaeBarn and they arrived yesterday. I noticed some of it was neon orange when I opened the package. This morning I see a couple more that are bleached. Any idea what's going on with them?

IMG_2415.JPG

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The neon orange means it didnt make it in transit. Please remove it and reach out to [email protected] and we will get you a replacement.
Wish I was able to receive the same response for my last shipment order #75316 . Upon arrival of my shipment I spoke with a female at @AlgaeBarn and advised her the .5 lb of Red Ogo I had received was a mix of neon orange and really translucent. She said to give it a week or so. All of the Red Ogo disintegrated over the next couple days. I called back and she offered me a 10% coupon which I had said no thanks to since I already had a couple and it didn't make any sense to have another 10% off coupon. She couldn't offer me anything else. Not here to derail this post. Just expressing my frustration. Algaebarn has always had great products and service.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wish I was able to receive the same response for my last shipment order #75316 . Upon arrival of my shipment I spoke with a female at @AlgaeBarn and advised her the .5 lb of Red Ogo I had received was a mix of neon orange and really translucent. She said to give it a week or so. All of the Red Ogo disintegrated over the next couple days. I called back and she offered me a 10% coupon which I had said no thanks to since I already had a couple and it didn't make any sense to have another 10% off coupon. She couldn't offer me anything else. Not here to derail this post. Just expressing my frustration. Algaebarn has always had great products and service.

Hi @Highgrade, thanks for the feedback. I have talked to Cameron(our CS agent) and clarified the correct response for this situation. Feel free to PM me or reach out to [email protected] and we will get you the red ogo you need.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought some from AlgaeBarn and they arrived yesterday. I noticed some of it was neon orange when I opened the package. This morning I see a couple more that are bleached. Any idea what's going on with them?

IMG_2415.JPG

For future visitors: If you remove the neon orange portions of the red ogo, it usually recovers pretty well. It's not a very common issue, but red ogo is one of our more fragile macroalgaes for shipping. It doesnt like cold and it doesnt like heat. It tends to be very hardy when in an aquarium, but a little more challenging for transport. We are in process on our next generation shipping/packaging stack to further minimize any transport issues.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For future visitors: If you remove the neon orange portions of the red ogo, it usually recovers pretty well. It's not a very common issue, but red ogo is one of our more fragile macroalgaes for shipping. It doesnt like cold and it doesnt like heat. It tends to be very hardy when in an aquarium, but a little more challenging for transport. We are in process on our next generation shipping/packaging stack to further minimize any transport issues.
It was really cold around the time of delivery I received my package which would explain the die off. Thank you for the quick reply.

OP
OP
K

ktn87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How about this Red Pom Pom? There's some neon orange around the tips.

IMG_2416.JPG

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The neon orange means it didnt make it in transit. Please remove it and reach out to [email protected] and we will get you a replacement.
Man I wish I had know this was how it worked... I assumed after reading your policy that after 12 hours you no longer covered losses. :(
I ordered a refugium package and my red ogo and my cheato both bleached and died in about 24-36 hours. Only thing that survived was the ulva.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man I wish I had know this was how it worked... I assumed after reading your policy that after 12 hours you no longer covered losses. :(
I ordered a refugium package and my red ogo and my cheato both bleached and died in about 24-36 hours. Only thing that survived was the ulva.

It's tough. We have it say 12 hours so we get discretion. We have had individuals order, receive the item, leave it in the mailbox for 3 days after it arrives, and then request a replacement because it's dead (which we sometimes still honor depending on the circumstance and we even pay freight to get back out). We try not to set policies based upon a few people's actions, but this one is hard to improve, and we encourage people to reach out if something seems a little off. We try to be the best in the industry in terms of guarantees, but we have to put some controls in place to prevent people from abusing it.

With that in mind, send me your order number and I will see what we can do about your situation.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to come on here and thank @AlgaeBarn
After seeing this thread, I commented above and then reached out to them further in email and they sent me some more red ogo to make up for the loss. And wow, I’m really surprised! Not only did the ogo come in healthy this time (not sure if it’s the different packaging or just better weather, but I do like the bags a little more than the jars, as the jars still tend to leak a little bit) but they sent a HUGE portion, way more than I originally ordered, AND they sent me more pods! Super happy with how they handled everything, and won’t hesitate to order from them again in the future.
1FCEBFAD-064E-430E-A46F-22FDC633909D.jpeg

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you let the ogo just float in the refugium? Or does it need to be glued? What about tumbling?

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would also like to know about this question please.
Red Ogo typically does better being anchored and not tumbled. A lot of times people will use their marine pure blocks to pinch together the stalks of the macro in their refugium :cool:

Jsharp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes me feel better. I ordered the ogo twice from Algae Barn. First time came frozen, as well as the lettuce I ordered. They were awesome as far as replacing it. Got the second batch - most of it looked ok except for a little bleaching on the ogo. Looked like it was all starting to grow ok, but 2 weeks later everything was dead as well as the lettuce. I just chalked it up to me growing it wrong in the sump. Maybe I’m not a total idiot! Oh well, maybe I will try to order again. Maybe better luck if I try some chaeto next time - hope so, my fingers are getting sore crossing them so often :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back