Red or Blue Carpet question.

rocko918

I wanna be a rock star
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From experience does anyone know if either of these last longer in our tanks? I was thinking about getting 1 but wanted to see if either 1 is heartier than the other.

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had the green,red and blue. I kept all of them for a couple years each in different systems and i never noticed any real difference. the one i had the longest was a green one which was 5 years. none of these died i just ended up selling or trading over time. I have always had very high lighting and also fed them all large silver sides about once a week.

From experience does anyone know if either of these last longer in our tanks? I was thinking about getting 1 but wanted to see if either 1 is heartier than the other.

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool thanks, when you say high lighting, 400w MH's?

how about flow?

yes i run 400 radium halides. a few times they were 250's in most cases never less then 4 and as many as 8.

you dont want much flow. enough to keep water moving by at a fair clip and not so much that it cant lay down when expanded

Tenacious716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy one (and plan on having it shipped), make sure it's been healthy + established for a good amount of time. They don't ship very well... so awesome though!

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not true. the 250's will be fine. good reflectors will help ensure this.
dont forget that if you have a very full reef that adding a carpet can be a very stressful thing for YOU. They will move around many times looking for a nice spot and it is never where you want. You have to let it chose were to live. Chances are it will chose a place you would rather not have him.

For example i have a beautiful bright yellow giant carpet he chose the far side of the tank facing away from the the view area. Seems very happy there and looks great and getting better all the time. but i hate it there because i dont get to enjoy it very much. moving it though will just cause undo stress and lessen the chances of success with these touchy animals

Last edited:
OP
OP
rocko918

rocko918

I wanna be a rock star
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea, i plan on letting it settle in if i get one. I do have a full reef but willing to make adjustments needed. I really am just getting info to see if something like it will have a good chance to survive. Doing my research first!

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both good. assuming you have rock solid conditions in your tank i would say your good to go to give it a shot. they are not ideal tank mades for a mixed reef and best suited for tank just for them but with proper care you should do just fine. mine have always been in a mixed reef and otehr then a few dead fish they have been just fine.

and i'm sure you know this already but let me say it again. they WILL kill a fish. maybe not today and maybe not tomorrow but some day it will happen. its not a question of IF it will happen but about WHEN it will happen

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back