Red planaria !!!!

Baker91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got some red planaria from a lfs in some cheato I bought from them. I’ve currently dosed my tank three times in about 10 days and cannot get rid of them. The lfs gave me a yellow corris and he does eat them but not the point. I have more in the sump than in the tank. Last dose I used enough to dose 200 gallons in a 60 gal cube. Left for the 4th and came back and there are quite a few in my sump. Would I be wrong to just move all my fish and coral over to a frag setup and bleach the tank and leave it running for a few days before I start over? Cannot stand them at all.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that some folks had success with trying certain wrasses. Something to consider if at all doable with the current system?

Mark Teitelman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this exact issue about 2 years ago...you do have to be aggressive in attacking them because they multiply so quickly. I did 2 things...every day for a week I took a small piece of tubing, put a net on one end, started a suction and sucked out a lot of them. I also introduced a Melanairus Wrasse and he went to town on any of the planaria i had left over. that was more of a happy accident, I knew the wrasse MIGHT eat them, but I had been quarantining him before I got the planaria and timing worked out. YMMV cause its not a sure thing that fish will eat them. But after a week mine were all gone and no Chemicals needed.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got some red planaria from a lfs in some cheato I bought from them. I’ve currently dosed my tank three times in about 10 days and cannot get rid of them. The lfs gave me a yellow corris and he does eat them but not the point. I have more in the sump than in the tank. Last dose I used enough to dose 200 gallons in a 60 gal cube. Left for the 4th and came back and there are quite a few in my sump. Would I be wrong to just move all my fish and coral over to a frag setup and bleach the tank and leave it running for a few days before I start over? Cannot stand them at all.

I wouldn't nuke the whole tank. Maybe just the sump. Are you dosing Flatworm Exit? Any coris, leopard, or melanarus wrasse will eat them. I have had outbreaks in almost every tank. The wrasse will usually rid the display tank. After I have gone a few months without seeing any in the display I take the sump off line and give everything a good soak in fresh water. Usually does the trick.

Good luck.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels of the genus Chrysiptera always have worked well for me over the years. Springeri are pretty peaceful and stay on the smaller side. Blue Stripe pipefish have also always been good flatworm hunters for me. When I have them in the tank I rarely see flatworms. Planaria aren't a big deal unless your corals are getting smothered. Flatworm Exit didn't work at all. I had to keep doubling and tripling the dose and they always came back. That stuff does more harm than good.

OP
OP
Baker91

Baker91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer everyone
Yes I have a yellow coris wrasse and he is doing great w them.
flatworm exit is what I’m dosing
I know they’re harmless unless plague proportions but they bother me.
I may try the whole sump thing as I haven’t seen any in thedisplay since I triple dosed.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lunare wrasse
Melanurus wrasse
6 lined wrasse
Blue velvet nudibranch.

Siphon as many as you can also.

Back