Red pods infesting Acropora

Waterbender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,

Please I need help identifying this bug. I have strong doubts that it's munching on my Acros which have been STNing from the base for the past 6 months. I don't want to blame this potentially harmless creature for my mistakes, I also had a KH spike and some AEFW which I was able to get rid of (fingers crossed) by frequently dipping my frags every 2-3 days.

Now I don't see that bug on other LPS and softies, it's only on the leftover acro frags that survived so far. It's very small and I doubt it can be seen with a naked eye. I initially thought it was the famous red bug since it's red, but when realized later red bugs are actually yellow with a red spot. I got a microscope to share some pictures for IDying. When I dip the frag, dozens come out jumping everywhere.

I've tried to do some research online and the closest thing I could find was that it could be a cyclopepod (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/AcroBugF.htm), but I couldn't find any confirmation whether it's good or bad.

Cheers,
IMG_4835.jpg
IMG_4833.jpg
IMG_4832.jpg
IMG_4834.jpg

IMG_4834.jpg

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a red flatworm eating acropora. Does the acropora look like it has little white bite marks on it?
If so you’re going to want to treat your tank rights away before they propagate even more.
Here are a few steps I’d recommend:
  • Order Salifert Flatwork eXit or something similar. Make sure you follow the instructions.
  • If you have a large population of worms be prepared for an ammonia spike due to the FW die off. So have water ready for a water change.
    If possible remove as many worms as you can prior to treatment, this might help reduce the ammonia spike.
  • Depending on the population of worms you potentially will have to treat multiple times.
  • Run carbon in your system
  • Research as much as you can prior to treating your tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Waterbender

Waterbender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a red flatworm eating acropora. Does the acropora look like it has little white bite marks on it?
If so you’re going to want to treat your tank rights away before they propagate even more.
Here are a few steps I’d recommend:
  • Order Salifert Flatwork eXit or something similar. Make sure you follow the instructions.
  • If you have a large population of worms be prepared for an ammonia spike due to the FW die off. So have water ready for a water change.
    If possible remove as many worms as you can prior to treatment, this might help reduce the ammonia spike.
  • Depending on the population of worms you potentially will have to treat multiple times.
  • Run carbon in your system
  • Research as much as you can prior to treating your tank.
Hi BighohoReef. I did have flatworms few months back but I'd like to think they are gone now. I don't see bite marks anymore and no more flatworms when I dip the corals.

This bug has very little legs but the pics are not very clear. I think they are a type of pods but could be the nasty type.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back