Red Reef 130 vs New Waterbox vs Others?

TIDE09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. New here and to saltwater in general. I’m coming from the koi pond side and would like to get into saltwater.

I’m familiar with water chemistry, filtration, and the whole nitrogen cycle. Thats the fun part to me. A good filtration system makes me happy.

Anyway, looking for a tank. I have two options. First is a used Red Reef 130D. Looks to be in good condition. Guy is asking $250 but can probably get it for lower. From what I see, i’d have to upgrade the lighting, pumps, and skimmer eventually and go rimless. But its 30 gallons so thats a plus.

Second option is a new Waterbox Cube 25 Peninsula. While smaller, its newer. But its more expensive and no stand. I like the look however.

I know eventually I will bypass the built in sump and go with one inside the stand. I like tinkering with that.

i’m also open to other options. What do you all recommend for a nano reef?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious - do you mean 'RedSea'? They make a nice aquarium IMHO - I have 2... I am not sure I would 'Go rimless' i.e. the tank was designed with the rim for a reason. If you like a rimless tank - I would purchase one outright. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
TIDE09

TIDE09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - do you mean 'RedSea'? They make a nice aquarium IMHO - I have 2... I am not sure I would 'Go rimless' i.e. the tank was designed with the rim for a reason. If you like a rimless tank - I would purchase one outright. Hope this helps.

Sorry, yes I mean Red Sea - I'm not sure how to edit the post.

Appreciate the feedback

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with waterbox because: all tanks come with star fire glass for unparalleled viewing there and there tanks are very well built. I have a cube and I cant be happier there design has saved my tank multiple times from over flowing. I am pretty bias because I haven’t researched red sea or owned any of there tanks so go with what you like better imo

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back