ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
Just question on hermits if i may ^_^
Mine 1 week old today and last few days they just sit at top of the rock structures right in front of the flow from the power heads and dont really move ( apart from once i seen one fell off 40 cm to the sand bed lol)
Maybe because in the flow some small particles of food gets to them ? ( be good for the couple fan worms that on their shell also) if it is the case.
No visible signs of algae growing on the rocks but they definately pulling something off the rocks as often see them.ive got calothrix ( type of cyano bacteria) ive been told and my research says that they eat cyano bacteria ( which ive seen them eat this)
I bought some ocean nutrition green algae sheets and clipped it on glass near bottom sand and elastic band around small rock and placed in front of a hermit but didnt eat any of this.ive threw a few fish pellets in but never seen them touch this.
Ive also got some mixed frozen food of various little critters and used a coral feeder to place some close to the crabs on the rocks with power heads turned off,they eat this stuff.
I get that they mainly nocturnal but is this standard behaviour ? As some the frozen food ends up on the sand bed in middle of tank near overflow so dont want it going to waste.i do syphon out with airline tube occasionally
No other livestock in tank apart from these 3 hermits.
Thanks

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine would run away even if I get close to the tank. Normally out at night or close to light off. Target feeding is impossible in my case.
It is a new tank so I think it is a bit early for the hermit but they tolerate almost anything.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty for reply.
Yeah tank just 2 months old but wanted bit of movement in tank and thought could eat this cyano bacteria stuff which they are and can feed them frozen and nori and pellets but so far they only eating frozen and actually grab the little frozen ( thawed) out the coral feeder thingy me job which kind of cool and the 5- 6 fan worms on top their shells staying alive so far also.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also here a quick video of the tube/ fan worms on hermits shell.like 4 or 5 between 2 of the hermits shells,providing they survive,you think they grow bigger or is there tiny versions that only stay this size ? Ive tried googling but dobt seem to find much on it.also 2 of the 3 hermits have a couple these fanworms on their shells and it just these 2 hermits that at top of the rocks in front of the flow.its like the worms telling them to go there so fans can gather food particles in the flow ha ha

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also here a quick video of the tube/ fan worms on hermits shell.like 4 or 5 between 2 of the hermits shells,providing they survive,you think they grow bigger or is there tiny versions that only stay this size ? Ive tried googling but dobt seem to find much on it.also 2 of the 3 hermits have a couple these fanworms on their shells and it just these 2 hermits that at top of the rocks in front of the flow.its like the worms telling them to go there so fans can gather food particles in the flow ha ha

Hard to tell which type are they but they will grow for almost sure.
The type I have in my tank grow like a 20p size.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my first 2 fish come out qt on tuesday and will go my lfs wednesday and buy another 1- 2 fish as they get new deliveries in on thursdays so thinking best to buy on Wednesday so they had fish at least 6 days as dont want buy any new deliveries as some often die in first day or 2.and yeah regarding the fan worms,the more fish i got eating foid the more food particles be in the water for them.im hoping somehow the fan worms spread to my rocks which is all dry rock.but am planning to buy just one 10 inch x 10 inch piece of live rock from the lfs.and more feed fish the more left over food there will be and less target feed i need for hermits

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell which type are they but they will grow for almost sure.
The type I have in my tank grow like a 20p size.
Mine very small.like the feather duster like 2- 3 mm wide is all .but thanks for reply and hope all is well with yourself

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back