Red scooter blennies

Blemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are everyone's thought on these. I've been reading up on them for a while, and today, while on the search for a powerhead, I stumbled upon a little male who looked real nice and plump. I understand that these fish have a reputation for being difficult to feed, but since I really want to set up a 20 gallon mandarin tank, I assumed the lil guy would be good practice. He's gonna be living in a 10 gallon with a pair of ocellaris (one black one orange). I know it's a bit overstocked, but I do weekly 33% water changes. I've got a good amount of pods already in the tank, and as of tomorrow, I will be turning my h.o.b filter into a chaeto mini fuge, which i may seed with tigger pods. What do you think about weaning him onto frozen foods? I dose the tank pretty regularly with newly hatched b.b.s, and have easy access to capelin roe. I also always have blackworms around for some of my f/w fish, and I am guessing they can always be used as a stop-gap. Any special tricks or foodstuffs they may be more likely to take?

alexpescado

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of them. they are constantly on the hunt for pods and brittle stars. I supplement the live stuff that they eat in the tank with frozen food.
I turn off the flow and then shoot the brine in their direction with a turkey baster. They seem to be happy and well fed.Very cute little fish.

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in my 58 gallon. Nice little fish and very interesting to watch but sadly mine would not eat anything but pods and he died. I had a lot of pods and seeded with tiger pods and he ran through them in a month or so. As stated they are always on the hunt. Some will eat mysis, cyclopeeze or artic pods but it is a gamble. I would think a 10 gallon could not have enough pods in it to keep one alive for very long. Watch him at the lfs and see if he will eat prepared foods. If so then you knoe you will be ok. If not then it will be a risk. HTH

Patrick

OP
OP
Blemo

Blemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I'm sure that I will have to supplement his diet with frozen foods, considering that the tank only has 20 something lbs of live rock. I will keep an eye on him. I plan on bringing some capelin roe to the store tomorrow and seeing if they will let me feed him. They seem to work well for mandarins, so hopefully it will work. Also, I was thinking, since their natural way of feeding is to pick pods off of rocks, that maybe smearing shrimp paste or something similar to a small piece of rubble would entice them to pick at it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back