Red Sea’s all-new ReefLED™ smart reef lighting!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I predicted in a previous poll regarding 2019, this would be the year for lighting and I believe Red Sea isn’t done yet with innovation for 2019
This hobby has reached New levels, no doubt

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tinkered around for 2 years with LED lighting. Researching and applying knowledge to DIY build what I WANT in a light

I'm not a huge fan of WHITE spectrum lighting which is the entire light wavelength coming at a coral.

I have over the past year have resoldered, remoding several Chinese aquarium lights to specific wavelengths I want:

6ft 189g tank:

(1) 36in light with nothing but 420nm deep actinic blue diodes

(4) 12 in lights with a combo of 40% 460nm bright blue actinic.... 40% 420nm deep blue.... 20% 520nm green light

(3) 2ft 620nm pink/red lights to has really made my corals grow.

I live these combos of light wavelengths with ZERO WHITE LIGHT. But covering the blue, green, red spectrums island fine detail.

..... just my two cents if anyone wants to make their of set of wavelengths.... it can be done REMODING Chinese lights off Ebay and a soldering gun and the correct diodes off ebay

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
News was only released a few hours ago. These units are designed and built solely by Red Sea, based on several years of research into the needs of corals within aquaria. For more info www.redseafish.com

Is this a dense matrix system? If so it would be nice to have a viable competitor to Kessil

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the effective spread of the lights? Will they have options for lens angle? Any plans for a larger unit, such as one having 4 clusters in a square pattern? That would be perfect!

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was thinking about going with 2 new kessils for my upcoming 120 sca build but it looks like I may have to wait a bit longer for these to come out! The price point is really competitive and I think a square light matches the lines of a rectangular tank much better than a round light does! Much better aesthetics imho! Not to mention, those mounts are sweet !!

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a dense matrix system? If so it would be nice to have a viable competitor to Kessil
Looking at the pictures, it doesn't look like as dense as kessils which are practically touching, but they are very close and I doubt there will be much noticeable difference other than a slightly larger LED panel footprint.

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
Man I can’t wait for these to come out. If @Bulkreefsupply or @redsea need any beta testers I’m down! Been looking for a light upgrade from my kessils and these look like the perfect option!
f120ba3b381c61b64ed6828430b7b90a.jpg

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting they didn't opt to charge you for an additional buggy piece of crap router to allow you to control it via phone/wifi. To be fair they make good door stops (you know what brand I'm talking 'bout)

hawkeye792001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what the idea coverage area is for the lights? I have a 125 gallon and will be upgrading my lighting at some point. If 3 cover the tank, for sps, that would be impressive.

GrouperBait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m super excited to see another player on the market. However, I’m still trying to get over red sea’s poor tank quality and my leak ordeal.

It’s like an ex girlfriend who cheated on you but you really had a good thing going....I want to trust you but there’s always that lingering bad taste and doubt and anticipation of being screwed over again.

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next step with that app is to throw in a few probes with 6-8 sockets and you have yourself a fully integrated aquarium controller :).

Exciting times..

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously, show me where Red Sea has innovated anything? They take well known products and slap their own branding on it and call it "Reef Spec".

Take their new line of skimmers, Bubble Magus knockoffs. They look exactly like a BM and now that BM has a sicce pump, thier basically the same thing. Same goes for this light, it's a kessil knockoff with their own branding.

Sorry I'm not buying into the Red Sea koolaid. They do make some solid products, but I see no innovations here, or anything else they make and market.

aquaman67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like how the LEDs are recessed in the fixture. My recliner is right next to my tank and I worry about being blinded by new lights.

I’m using TrueLumen strips now but I’m ready for something new and have been looking. I recently started a thread in the lighting forum asking about what’s new. I want to be able to change the color more than any other feature.

I too also really like how the arm isn’t fixed and swings up out of the way. That’s a big plus.

Looks like my short list of new lights just got a little longer. I will definitely consider these.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well no red sea may not have reinvented anything but they have come out with I think simplified and improved product at reasonable pricing. If I look at what is available today versus 20 years ago not much has been totally new. Just things have gotten better. Skimmer not new, chillers not new, controllers not new. Led fairly recent but not new anymore WiFi control fairly recent but not new anymore. The only thing I know that is actually new today is automated testing with auto dosing. I like the idea that someone getting started will be able to buy a complete setup that should work well for them. Is it the best depends on what one wants and their budget. I am down sizing and not looking for the best but looking for nice looking, usable and decent price. I was pricing out something around the size of reefer 250 and unless you buy everything used it does not matter the cost will be close regardless of brand tank and stand. Actually red sea was the lower cost way to go.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well no red sea may not have reinvented anything but they have come out with I think simplified and improved product at reasonable pricing. If I look at what is available today versus 20 years ago not much has been totally new. Just things have gotten better. Skimmer not new, chillers not new, controllers not new. Led fairly recent but not new anymore WiFi control fairly recent but not new anymore. The only thing I know that is actually new today is automated testing with auto dosing. I like the idea that someone getting started will be able to buy a complete setup that should work well for them. Is it the best depends on what one wants and their budget. I am down sizing and not looking for the best but looking for nice looking, usable and decent price. I was pricing out something around the size of reefer 250 and unless you buy everything used it does not matter the cost will be close regardless of brand tank and stand. Actually red sea was the lower cost way to go.
The skimmer for the maxe260 flat out sucks. Just saying...

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer for the maxe260 flat out sucks. Just saying...
What sucks about it as I can't find much info. I know it is not the easiest to clean but everything I have read says once you get it adjusted it works well. I really want to know what people have to say. I have been thinking about the E-260 so I have all the room in the stand for ATO and other stuff. Supposedly they have changed pump. With bad back I hate doing maintenance in the stand. When I was price comparing was looking at the reefer

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS said these things are pretty ugly and that was one of the reasons they wanted to carry Waterboxes as Red Sea will stop shipping AI products with their tanks. I kind of agree with them, bulky and boxy.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back