Red Sea’s all-new ReefLED™ smart reef lighting!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Final days of shopping for my first set of lights for my 40b build.
I've spent hours reading the reefer rants, the objective and not-so-objective research, the sales spin, and the honest opinions.
I've changed my mind a dozen times since I started this project six months ago.
I'm glad I waited for lights till the tanks were cycled. These seem to check all the boxes for me (the most important being safety) and I really like the brackets. I think I'm going to go with two of the 50s at 7" off the water with the swing brackets.
We shall see.
All lights mount to rimmed and rimless. Even if not, Easy to modify mounting for Any lighting

aquaman67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So these are only for rimless tanks? No way to get them on a rimmed tank?

According to BRStv the mount is up to 3/4 inches wide. So I’m not sure if it can be mounted on a rimmed tank without modification.

I hope someone chimes in with a definitive answer.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the PSU still burning up?

Edit: Seems the main selling point of this is that the majority of PAR is coming from blue leds. Most of the others seem to balance the blue and whites despite white never running more than 30% in most tanks.

Last edited:

FeiMeow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really looking at purchasing the 90 as I plan a tank upgrade in the next 2 years from a 15 gallon nano Aqueon Column tank to a 40b. I have a problem with the mounting on this tank as the tank is only 14" across and the 90 mounting arms are all too long. Can a 90 be mounted onto the arm of a 50? Is there a light weight issue or hole pattern difference between the two? My tank is 22 inches to the bottom which is why I was going more towards the 90 rather then the 50. The wife is against any hanging or wall mounting arms, etc so I need to find a tank mounted solution.

Thank you

Gusto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, Any reviews on the 50? Thinking of ordering two for a Nuvo 30L with softies and LPS.. Thanks

Arthur9.5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2x 90 for my 65 gallon, they are amazing. Yes just blue and white lights but they make the correct work.

Gusto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Arthur9.5, I was concerned about the only blue and white but have read they look great. I'm going to do a little more research on how the 50's compare to the AI Prime and make a decision. I do like that the LEDs are recessed as well

Arthur9.5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Arthur9.5, I was concerned about the only blue and white but have read they look great. I'm going to do a little more research on how the 50's compare to the AI Prime and make a decision. I do like that the LEDs are recessed as well
Is a good option too I think, Red Sea instead of its lights sell in their kits the AI Prime.. I think the red sea lights need more time to take control of more market

Arthur9.5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to cut the base area that you will put the lights, also I put a little wood bar between the glass and the frame because the light (if you force it will have some movement that you do not want to broke the glass.. right now i made a canopy for my lights.

hope this help

967DF13A-DE39-4E76-83B7-89D92A146DCE.jpeg

JB's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to cut the base area that you will put the lights, also I put a little wood bar between the glass and the frame because the light (if you force it will have some movement that you do not want to broke the glass.. right now i made a canopy for my lights.

hope this help

967DF13A-DE39-4E76-83B7-89D92A146DCE.jpeg
Thanks a lot for your help! This does help a ton! Would you happen to know how many lights are needed for a 72x18x21? I can't seem to find this anywhere.

Arthur9.5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in base in red sea references and bulk reef supply , I would say 4 lights.. each light can spread 24”x24”

if you have 3 lights you will have less light in the top around the tank and if is too much light you can decrease the % in some moment

FAEA31A6-DA5A-4048-A9AD-42D7F0D94984.png

Reefpuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone supplementing these with T5s? Seems like they don't get as much color pop out of the corals based on reviews...compared to a Radion for example. Wondering if there is a T5 combination that would fill in those missing colors that the ReefLED can't bring out as well on it's own.

JB's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in base in red sea references and bulk reef supply , I would say 4 lights.. each light can spread 24”x24”

if you have 3 lights you will have less light in the top around the tank and if is too much light you can decrease the % in some moment

FAEA31A6-DA5A-4048-A9AD-42D7F0D94984.png
That is what I thought. Thanks a lot for your help!

crezguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea how to get the missing parts. I am in need of the clamp that attaches the light to rimless tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back