Red Sea 250 <2 yrs old, seem separation with bowing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want everyone to be aware of how Red Sea handles second hand purchases of their tank under warranty. I understand things can happen between the exchange of hands but even under a documented history of failure, you could have a tough time. I will update as the progress goes.

Original tank purchase: 8/31/2018 - delivered a few weeks later, this tank is less than 2 years old and having seem failure. I picked it up from him Feb 22, 2020. Slightly a year and a half old.

To start - the tank was purchased by a local reef club member that had to move on a short notice to NY for a job offer. However, since he was a club member, he made me aware of the bottom separation and Red Sea told him that it was not structural and it was okay. FYI - pictures below are now. The original separation looked to be the armored seam coming off, not the tank seam.

I trusted him but I wanted it documented under my name. So, I followed up with Red Sea, provided all the paperwork (he issued it to me all his original paperwork & receipt) and did everything they ask (videos, several pictures, id verification) since I had nothing to hide. Needless to say, they told me the same thing they told him, it was non-structural therefore it was not covered and they offered me a new tank if I wanted at a discounted rate. I trusted Red Sea as I am a original owner of a RS P500 with no issues thinking they won't steer me wrong and it matched what I was told.

Since it was not structural, I didn't care at the time, cause it was going to be a frag tank. Fast forward almost 5 months, the separation grew and luckily I noticed today, it was very close to the end of the seam. Since it was occurring in the middle, I measured the distance in the middle of the tank and the side of the tank and found that the middle was 1/16" wider, showing there was a bow in the tank. 36" glass tank should not be bowing. IMO this tank was defective from the beginning and a failure was bound to happen.

I sent all the information to Red Sea today and hopefully they choose to do the right thing. I understand warranties under their policy is non-transferable however when there is a clear history of it happening to other thanks and even this tank prior to exchanging hands, I feel that a new tank is in order. Also, what does that say to the value of a Red Sea tank if you were ever wanting to upgrade, it's almost worthless even if it's just a little over a year old.

I'll update this thread as it progresses. However, I want all that is looking at a Red Sea tank second hand to know what you're facing, even if the tank is well under the 3 year warranty.

IMG_1047.jpg IMG_1048.jpg IMG_1040.jpg IMG_1043.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
CivicS14

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of the seem when I originally sent it to Red Sea back on 2/23. It did look like it was just the armored seem coming apart, hence why I didn’t pursue it further at the time. I trusted that such a big company wouldn’t steer me wrong and I hope they still won’t in this case.

DFB908C1-4732-47B3-9DB5-F5E169CDCEDC.jpeg

OP
OP
CivicS14

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck you are going to need it. Made in China what could possibly go wrong?
Well, I do have their Red Sea P500 for almost 2 years now with zero issues. I think this tank is just a defective one. Every manufacturer has issues in production, it's just how they respond when it is brought up.

Again, I am hoping Red Sea does the right thing here and replace the tank considering the history and I have all the proof of purchase, documents, and reported it back in Feb, as well as the original owner the previous year.

Edit to original post: I picked it up Feb. 22, 2020, not 2019. My apologies for the error. Meant to say slightly a year and a half old when I got it from him.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a harsh generalization, don't you think? The facts don't support that at all.
Yeah I guess you might be right. And I may have violated their new laws so I probably should never travel to China either. lol! Lovely people, the government not so much.

OP
OP
CivicS14

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a harsh generalization, don't you think? The facts don't support that at all.

Yeah, like I said. I know several people with Red Sea tanks and many with no issues. One other reef club member had the first generation 750 and it failed but they replaced it right away. So, hopefully I get the same results even though I'm not the original owner.

One thing to note on RS part is that when I did notify them in Feb., they were generous to offer a replacement at a fraction of the cost since they considered it more cosmetic and nonstructural. So, I assume with the update, I hope they offer a free replacement.

brianbigoats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks
I just had a similar thing happen to my 170 I was the original owner so they replaced it quickly

OP
OP
CivicS14

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Been seeming more and more of these kinds of horror pics! Hope your able to get everything straightened out before it too late!

They responded with offering a discounted tank since I wasn't the original owner. However, I asked them to reconsider since there was documented history of the tank that had the seems coming apart prior to me taking ownership. They even reinforced the original owner's explanation when they told me the same that it was not structural.

Even with all the documentations of the original receipt, paperwork, and the tank being under 2 years old, I'm quite disappointed that they won't cover the tank fully.

I asked them to reconsider and I would even cover the freight cost because it is clearly a defective tank.

OP
OP
CivicS14

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disappointing but I understand their stance. I had to pay for a replacement at a discounted rate. As disheartening as it is, they were very respectful and responsive. Also, they understand the urgency so they are going to try to get it out by tomorrow morning.

So buyer beware on all second hand Red Sea purchases that you could be facing added cost due to warranties are non-transferable, even with all documents and paperwork, regardless of the age of the tank.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which tank manufacturers warranties are transferrable?

OP
OP
CivicS14

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which tank manufacturers warranties are transferrable?

Not sure about aquariums, maybe that's the industry standard, but any other item outside of aquariums, as long as you are able to provide proof of purchase, which I am, your warranty is applicable. Think about it... electronics, cars, almost everything under the sun, as long as you can provide a proof of purchase. Who's to say that one person didn't buy it for another as a gift?

maxwell50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They responded with offeringhey a discounted tank since I wasn't the original owner. However, I asked them to reconsider since there was documented history of the tank that had the seems coming apart prior to me taking ownership. They even reinforced the original owner's explanation when they told me the same that it was not structural.

Even with all the documentations of the original receipt, paperwork, and the tank being under 2 years old, I'm quite disappointed that they won't cover the tank fully.

I asked them to reconsider and I would even cover the freight cost because it is clearly a defective tank.
They responded with offering a discounted tank since I wasn't the original owner. However, I asked them to reconsider since there was documented history of the tank that had the seems coming apart prior to me taking ownership. They even reinforced the original owner's explanation when they told me the same that it was not structural.

How much discount did they offer? I might be in same boat

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back