Red Sea 300 - Still overflowing after 7 days

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured this skimmer would chill out after a week but nope, still doing it. I tore it back down today to check for anything that could be causing an issue and I did find a small piece of rock in the impeller blades. When I say it is overflowing, I had to put saran wrap over the top because of the splattering of froth out the top. I have the drain pouring back into the tank because I would have a flooded house as much as is coming out by the minute. You will also notice I put it on some crate to get it above the red water line but that did not help that much.

My filter socks are old, it is not that. I did glue frag plugs with reef safe glue this week but that was days ago. The dial is turned all the way to negative, lowest it can go.

20201024_160208.jpg

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick it up out of the water a bit and see if it stops overflowing. If this is the case you need to raise the skimmer more.

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are residual manufacturing oils and whatnot. I had to remove the canister for a few days. A week seems excessive though. Have you ever used praziquantel in the tank? That’s the only thing that has ever made my skimmer go nuts for that long or longer.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are residual manufacturing oils and whatnot. I had to remove the canister for a few days. A week seems excessive though. Have you ever used praziquantel in the tank? That’s the only thing that has ever made my skimmer go nuts for that long or longer.

Nope. I ran this thing two almost two weeks with a light vinegar solution in my garage to remove any oils. There should not be anything left on this skimmer.

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have the rsk300 on the minimum level on the sticker on the adjustment knob. I will add that sometimes there is just something in the water that needs to be skimmed out, the only other thing I would try is mix up some fresh salt water and let the skimmer cup fill up a couple of times and replace the water removed

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a 300 a few days ago had it tuned in 10 minutes. Had to adjust it again the next day a little after it "broke in" been running great since.

Here are some tips I can share, I'm no expert but this is what I used to set mine up.

Use egg crate to raise or lower it, my sump has a high water level in the skimmer chamber so I have to use 5 egg crates stacked. Make adjustments to the knob and wait to see what happens, the last trick which I did not need to use but found out from a youtube video was they sell online these air line clips that "pinch" the air line so you can adjust further.

Remember when you change something on the skimmer adjustment wise wait 30 for the change to level out before making another.

I would also like to add how happy I am with this model it's a killer skimmer

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also hear when you first put in a skimmer it takes time to change the surface tension of the water, not 100% sure the science behind that but it might just take time to adjust to your tank.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up putting it on small tupperware containers, not super easy to get it to stay still. The pump is barely covered by water but I am finally getting a drier foam. I know this is not normal, there is a clear red line where the water should be. Hopefully after a few more days it will be able to be lowered. This is day 8 now.

Back