Red Sea 350 G2 weir problem

Mikes Reefer 2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys
I am new to marine aquariums and just starting out on my salt water journey. I have just purchased a Red Sea reefer 350 G2 and filling with RO and salt added, I started the return pump and found that the water was rising between the return pipe and silencer pipe. As water was rising between the two pipes the water was not rising high enough to flow over the silencer. I am using a fixed speed pump at the moment. I intend purchasing a variable speed pump shortly, as a 79 year old youngster I have to buy items as my pension allows. I don’t think I will have any fish or coral’s until next year as I still I still have to get a protein skimmer and a pair of Red Sea lights.
Hope my question makes sense guys.

TheSharksDen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First congrats in your new tank! There is a knob under your display tank that you can spin to make the water rise (I believe clockwise spin will make it rise) in the back to drain over to go back in the sump. Is this what your talking about? I circled it in red below. Hope this helps and what your talking about.

red sea 350 knob.JPG

Upvote 0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The above is correct but you have to make small adjustments with it like a few millimeters clockwise then wait like 15 minutes to see where your water level ends up and follow up adjustments as needed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mikes Reefer 2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys thanks for the welcome and your replies, I understand the return valve knob, but I don’t think that’s the problem. What’s happening is when water flows over into the weir the water is flowing up between the outlet pipe and the silencer pipe, therefor water is flowing into the short return pipe and not reaching the top of the square silencer on the outside.

Upvote 0

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 350G, not G2, but I suspect the silencer works similarly. The water does not need to flow over the silence, it flows up from below. If water is flowing into the emergency overflow, TheSharksden is correct, you need to open the valve so that the water lowers about .5-1 inches below the top of the emergency drain.

Attachments

• 350g2.jpg
    350g2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 50
Upvote 1
OP
OP
M

Mikes Reefer 2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jedi Knghit
Thanks for the calcification, I was under the impression the water was supposed to run over the main drain. Yes your weir setup is the same as my G2.

Upvote 0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly can never get mine to stay consistent 1 inch below the emergency pipe. My tank has been running for a time with water going down the emergency pipe also with no issues. When I try to balance per the direction it always ends up to low.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mikes Reefer 2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All
I am a dope, took a look into my weir and discovered that the silencer pipe does not reach the bottom of the weir. No wonder the water goes between the outlet and the silencer pipes. I’m sure now why I had the problem, I was using a powerful fixed head return pump on a temporary basis, will be ordering an octo vario s4 this weekend, any thoughts on these please.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 79 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back