Red Sea 350 vs WB MARINE X110.4- Help me decide!!

Bluereefer4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I'm having a difficult time choosing between the Red Sea 350 and the Marine X 110.4. Both are very similar in specs and the size I want but I keep going back and forth between the two. Initially, I was set on the Waterbox because I continued to hear and read about the seams busting on RS. Then I started to hear that WB has poor customer service and RS will always (within reason of course) "make things right" and have great support. One LFS said they stopped carrying RS because of the seams and their products becoming inferior to WB so now they are sole WB distributors. They even showed me a RS they had running at the store that has a seam going bad. They then suggested going to another LFS close by who is having the same issue. I went there and they don't know what the other LFS was talking about because all their RS are great. They are distributors for both brands and the guy suggested RS over WB because of their customer service. I know RS has a bigger piece of the market so that could be a reason for seeing more issues with the seams, while in reality its the same (or less) percentage of failures as WB? I want a tank and stand that will last 10+ years... is that too much to ask for?! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Speaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used first generation 750xxl that I have had setup for a year with no issues. Previous owner had it up for a year before I had it without the brace kit. I added the brace kit just in case. I check the seams regularly and have noticed no changes.

OP
OP
Bluereefer4

Bluereefer4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other input? And any particular reason for Red Sea? Sometime I feel like the company name makes people buy into it but is it really the better option?

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a WB 7225.. I felt customer support was fine, I had to get a whole new cabinet shipped to me and had no problems with the replacement process.. the instructions for cabinet assembly are absolutely trash. the tank itself is fine, but I really don't like the stand. Not even 1 year in and the hinges are rusting away. The gallon volumes they list are misleading.

Honestly when I get a larger tank (years into the future) I'll go 100% custom and not get one of these kits again.

Also have an Innovate Marine 40 gallon and love it. For smaller tanks I'd go with them again..

Never had a RS.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first choice would be Cade, but given a choice between Red Sea and Waterbox, I’d go with Red Sea. The Red Sea stands are better, tanks and features between Red Sea and Waterbox is the same. Red Sea support is way better.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you going with red sea, get the 425 instead of 350. You will appreciate the extra width.

I have the first gen 350. It is still going strong. Things I don't like about it though:
- stand door is misaligned now. Doesn't close all the way
- overflow drain is finicky. Sometimes quiet sometimes gurgling and loud. Gate valve adjustment is not precise.

That's about it. The tank served me well for 6 years now but I will be upgrading to Innovative Marine 200g peninsula.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of support, I do think it is important if you end up buying the tank from a LFS. I am in Florida and waterbox has a monopoly here. All the big stores carry waterbox, not red sea. If I have to choose between the two, I will have to go with having my LFS order the waterbox. If anything happens, I have two support avenues to go down. My LFS has direct contact with waterbox sales rep and they can pull some strings if crap goes wrong.

But it seems like you have a LFS that carries both sooooo I would go with red sea. They are bigger company, they sell other accessories. You can invest into their other products like skimmer and lights and etc.

OP
OP
Bluereefer4

Bluereefer4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've taken everyone's opinions as well as took a look at all my LFSs to see what they have. Fortunately, I was able to find both brands in use and asked about how long the tanks have been established. Found a few Red Seas that, could be by chance, had seams that would keep me up at night. As I started leaning more towards WB, I received "a sign" that WB was the way to go for me... I ran into a guy I work with at a LFS, who I have little to no interaction with, and when we were talking he said he just got a WB after his Red Sea failed. It was a divine sign in my eyes! Lol

So anyways, I'm going Waterbox but instead or the Marine X 110, I'm going to do the Reef 130!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back