Red Sea 3xl 900 plan (build to come)

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! First post here on the forum so intro- I'm Ryan how yall doin? As the title states I'm in the process of planning a 3xl build after about 15 years away from the hobby, had a power outage that claimed the life of my mixed reef and subsequent hiatus to collect my thoughts. After missing it dearly I've decided to jump back in!!

So what I plan: a 240 mixed reef
Location: above ground basement on a 121" wall (tank is 79") that on the other side is a largish half bath that will pull double duty/doody rodi/salt mix and processed food/drink waste station

Going with the red sea tank, stand, sump, but will likely go all ecotech for lighting, return and closed loop and powerheads as it can be adjusted and controlled by the mobius app.

May consider other lighting options and still open on protein skimmer. The sump will have chaeto and the extra separate chamber will more than likely be ATO.

First things first on this build I have to replace the carpet in the basement with tile (wood look tile herringbone pattern, awesome i know).

Then rodi system with either closed tanks or old school Rubbermaid 55gl cans

Anyways that's my plan!! Happy reefing yall and before pics and build pics to follow!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check out the life reef protein skimmers I hear amazing thinks about them there hand made right here in the US and the owner will talk your head off why his skimmers are better than needle wheel ones.

love the red sea tanks i had a 750 but traded down for the 650P...bought a house right after getting the 750 and low an behold a perfect spot for a peninsula tank i have always wanted.

but in your case if you have a 121" wall maybe go with a 10' tank? I have been chatting up Joe from glass cages about a future basement build a year or so out but they have a 10' that i have been drooling over.

IDK just some thoughts. anyway welcome to R2R and back into reefing! good to have you!

OP
OP
ImaFlippinDolphin

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but in your case if you have a 121" wall maybe go with a 10' tank? I have been chatting up Joe from glass cages about a future basement build a year or so out but they have a 10' that i have been drooling over.

IDK just some thoughts. anyway welcome to R2R and back into reefing! good to have you!

I like 3 viewable sides and my mrs shot down a behemoth peninsula, if it were up to me I'd go 10' or larger. I have a 19'9" wall that is calling me to construct the great basement reef...

I look into those skimmers

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like 3 viewable sides and my mrs shot down a behemoth peninsula, if it were up to me I'd go 10' or larger. I have a 19'9" wall that is calling me to construct the great basement reef...

I look into those skimmers

I hear you. but gotta keep the misses happy. I love peninsula tanks I have a little fiji cube and soon to be RS650P I think there like having 3 tanks or at least 2 in 1. haha
keep us posted on the XXL 900!

OP
OP
ImaFlippinDolphin

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minor update:

No tile in yet for floor

Mocked up a reasonable facsimile, its ok to laugh i did
20200808_210513.jpg

OP
OP
ImaFlippinDolphin

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been leaning towards 5 led 90's vs 3 gen 5's xr30...but its a thou swing that could go towards live rock, livestock, crack rock jk. BRS says the led 90 cranks par out best in class, has full 24hr light cycles(I dig checking out the tanks with moonlight...so underrated) and look when I was in the hobby before, nighttime had some crazy critters creepin because live rock came from the friggin ocean. Copepods, aamphipods, brisstleworms, star fish, and some corals threw tentacles...to me, when most of my time viewing the tank is towards lights out/moonlight...man I could save a thousand bucks and either livestock it up, or go high tech controllable coral farmer trendy light.

To be honest, if someone had some concrete knowledge of the gen 5 lunar lights that they were awesome and brought zen...I'd probably pony up towards them. I am going ecotech for return and 2 MP40's to supplement 2 red sea gyres. I know the "which light" debate rages on but I truly only want to buy nice and not twice this go around. Having stated that, lunar functionality is very important to me as that would be a large portion of my tank viewing. The idea of mobius and controlled multiple aspects is appealing, pump, flow and lights. However, i literally don't even consider alternatives like Orphek because no lunar.

So I ask, anyone with gen 5 radions that can speak on the lunar settings? If it has it and works im in, if its not an option I'll simply go more lights that have it, save a g and get more other stuff quicker

OP
OP
ImaFlippinDolphin

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other conundrum is that live rock is almost all fake now, I see that you can acquire ocean cured rock from TBS but actual live rock, yeah no!! So my thoughts are, TBS live rock with at least some biodiversity from the start or cured Marco or whatever my LFS has.

Thoughts?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome and exciting build you have going on!

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more progress, plan on adding these to the back glass and running 2 gyres on either end for flow
20200819_212855.jpg

Make sure you leave enough space behind the tank for the dry side of the pumps. I have definitely never set up a tank 1/4” too close to the wall and had to drain, re-level the feet, and refill it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back