Red Sea 425 has air bubbles in seams/sealant. Help please!!

Sophisticated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

A year ago I finally saved up for a second hand Rsr 425 from a guy who quitted the tank because of lack of time/experience.
He told me the tank was 1,5 year old so at this time the tank should be around 2,5 years.

After seeing different topics about red sea sealants/seams leaking or having air bubbles in them I already begon to regret my purchase but after inspection I thought mine dint have this problem.

Today I looked at the seams on another angle and yes my worst nightmare came true..... Air bubbles/water behind the seams....

I already had contact with a sales manager and he told me that there is a 3 year warranty on the seams for the FIRST owner wich I am not.

Also I don't have contact with the original owner anymore and I can't find our messages back on the advertisement site he sold his aquarium on

I already send a tech ticket to Red Sea but my hopes are not very high, I would like to hear how Reefer owners have fixed this with red Sea support, is there a chance they will help me or can i quit my tank?

Is there anyway to fix this myself without resealing the whole tank wich I can't do myself

IMG_20200704_192557.jpg IMG_20200704_192608.jpg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would exhaust all options with Red Sea first. If that fails, it gets extremely tricky. If you get the chance, would you be able to post another photo of the seam- I'm not the most familiar with the red sea tanks, so I want to make sure I understand the bubble fully and aren't mislead by a trick of the light.

As far as other options go, I once was able to bring a tank to a local builder and have them cut out that section and reglue it. Don't get me wrong, most shops I called said they wouldn't do it because they wouldn't take on the liability for the rest of the work, but one was willing. That should be your plan C, but it's worth mentioning if you have any local aquarium builders.

Also, I'm really sorry- what a crappy situation to be in.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry to see..great info above,hope red sea works with you!! supervisor please,supervisor please..best wishes :)

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you could... (ahem) become the original purchaser? Either by contacting the person you purchased it from, or by omitting that information unless asked to prove purchase?

Just grasping at straws here, and before any haters who disapprove of my approach verbalize their disapproval, what RedSea has done with their seam fiasco should be illegal, they deserve everything thats coming to them and then some.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you could... (ahem) become the original purchaser? Either by contacting the person you purchased it from, or by omitting that information unless asked to prove purchase?

Just grasping at straws here, and before any haters who disapprove of my approach verbalize their disapproval, what RedSea has done with their seam fiasco should be illegal, they deserve everything thats coming to them and then some.
100% agree

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red seas warranty, is difficult to say the least.
There going to ask for the original receipt, and the serial number. After which, you peel the number off and cut it up, with photo proof.

After which they will hum and has if they want to replace it or not. Took 2 weeks for them to decide for my failing tank.

then they will send it to the nearest wholesaler (wouldn’t ship to my door) , then you will have to fight with the wholesaler to collect your tank, because they don’t deal with the public, they generally want you to arrange with your LFS to pick it up there. After a week of arguing with the wholesaler that this is what was agreed upon in the emails (showing proof) you’ll be aloud to pick it up, but bring friends, cause the wholesaler will not help you load it. then they will demand you bring the old tank back to them as well.

this was my experience, after about 6 weeks, I got my replacement, and sold it. Red Sea can shove there tanks where they don’t belong.

OP
OP
Sophisticated Reefer

Sophisticated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would exhaust all options with Red Sea first. If that fails, it gets extremely tricky. If you get the chance, would you be able to post another photo of the seam- I'm not the most familiar with the red sea tanks, so I want to make sure I understand the bubble fully and aren't mislead by a trick of the light.

As far as other options go, I once was able to bring a tank to a local builder and have them cut out that section and reglue it. Don't get me wrong, most shops I called said they wouldn't do it because they wouldn't take on the liability for the rest of the work, but one was willing. That should be your plan C, but it's worth mentioning if you have any local aquarium builders.

Also, I'm really sorry- what a crappy situation to be in.
Yes that it my intention to try to fix this with red Sea but I already have to think about other options or other tanks, emergency transport of fish corals etc.. it really gives me a headache

I first thought too that it was the light tricking me but after looking to the back seams and from other angels I am sure it is water or air behind there, also when I press the seam a little bit I can see the air or water moving so for now I have to keep my hands off

IMG_20200704_174806.jpg IMG_20200704_174733.jpg

OP
OP
Sophisticated Reefer

Sophisticated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea just extended their warranty’s on their tanks up to 3 years I believe. I had to email them my tanks serial number and date of purchase but they should still back their product for you. Let us know what you get back from them

I also did the same procedure on their tech support, mailed the serial number of the tank etc.
But a sales manager already told me about the 3 year warranty for the "original" owner so no high hopes for me :confused:

OP
OP
Sophisticated Reefer

Sophisticated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hmm for now I hope I can stay fair to them and tell them my situation, and hope they will be fair to me also.
This is just something like buying a car and have the brakes fail in a couple years, a good company will call the cars back and have this fixed or replaced for their customers!

The site where the tank was sold on deletes private messages after some time, if I knew I would had asked the guys phone number.

OP
OP
Sophisticated Reefer

Sophisticated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with any way to fix this issue yourself. If it's not covered under warranty, and Red Sea isn't willing to replace it which seems unlikely, I'd start looking for a new tank if I were you.
Yep I'm already looking for alternative tanks, but still hope red Sea is a fair company and will help me with this problem

OP
OP
Sophisticated Reefer

Sophisticated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats causing the issue , cure time ? or defective silicon ?
Some guy on a Facebook group told me that the cleaning of the glass before the seaming is very critical to do, he also said that (we call it in Netherlands ertsen) wich is something like roughen up (Google translate;Facepalm) is also a good thing to do

OP
OP
Sophisticated Reefer

Sophisticated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red seas warranty, is difficult to say the least.
There going to ask for the original receipt, and the serial number. After which, you peel the number off and cut it up, with photo proof.

After which they will hum and has if they want to replace it or not. Took 2 weeks for them to decide for my failing tank.

then they will send it to the nearest wholesaler (wouldn’t ship to my door) , then you will have to fight with the wholesaler to collect your tank, because they don’t deal with the public, they generally want you to arrange with your LFS to pick it up there. After a week of arguing with the wholesaler that this is what was agreed upon in the emails (showing proof) you’ll be aloud to pick it up, but bring friends, cause the wholesaler will not help you load it. then they will demand you bring the old tank back to them as well.

this was my experience, after about 6 weeks, I got my replacement, and sold it. Red Sea can shove there tanks where they don’t belong.
I can understand you're frustration.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back