Red Sea 750 XXL Rebuild

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad they sent you a replacement tank. But for your troubles and loosing livestock they should of sent you a 900xl lol.

OP
OP
E

eeeeek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad they sent you a replacement tank. But for your troubles and loosing livestock they should of sent you a 900xl lol.
Honestly, had they given me the option to pay more and go 900, I would have. At the time I just wanted rhe replacement tank quickly so I could get my livestock and corals back into the display. Sadly, the only things left are the clowns and this one coral.

20210210_190300.jpg

I've asked Red Sea about taking care of some of the losses and they basically said sorry, we feel for you, but tough.

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, had they given me the option to pay more and go 900, I would have. At the time I just wanted rhe replacement tank quickly so I could get my livestock and corals back into the display. Sadly, the only things left are the clowns and this one coral.

20210210_190300.jpg

I've asked Red Sea about taking care of some of the losses and they basically said sorry, we feel for you, but tough.
Sorry to hear that. I really like there tanks I own one and will be upgrading when I move but makes me think twice on what tank I go with when I read post like this one. Its not the first time I've heard of some of there tanks being defected and to top it off they didn't try to make up for your losses which in the first place would of not happened if the tank wasn't defected . good luck sucks you had to go through that.

TrueNorthReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is the V2 and the stand is V3. I was thinking they were going to send me a V3 tank, but I guess they still have V2 inventory to unload.

Fun Fact: The top of the stand is underneath the aquarium. I hadn't counted on that. I'm trying to engineer a way to get the stand top out without getting a team of people here.

How are you able to determine the versions of the tank and stand? In the market for a new 750 and would want to ensure I'm getting the latest model. Also what were the warning signs of the seam letting go? did you have the brace installed when it started failing?

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The v3 sumps have removable baffles for refrugium and 4 sock holder 2 for filter media

OP
OP
E

eeeeek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know because the are labeled. In the box, each is marked. Once out, the serial number on the tank says 'XXL 750 V2' where the old one just said 'XXL 750'. The V3 of the tank has a much bigger overflow and return spouts on either side.

The stand was marked as v3. The easy ways I could tell the difference I have on page 1. The lip that supports the front piece of glass, the double wall between the wet and dry areas and the little brace pieces up near the top. The recall piece for the old stands is simply the removable brace that goes in the middle of the sump compartment. That is also on my new stand.

This is how I knew the tank was getting ready to go:

20210113_090308.jpg

By then, the brace wouldn't help. I never heard about the recall.

OP
OP
E

eeeeek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minor update. I put on a couple of command stick on grasps to hold the scraper and fish net. I also put a piece of rubber back carpeting on the bottom to take care of drips.

20210212_150734.jpg

After curing the rock and cycling the tank, I moved my trusty old clowns in so I can keep an eye on the levels with the bioload.

20210212_150751.jpg

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks that you had to go through this.
It's a nightmare trying to save a tank when you don't have a replacement "in place".

I'm sure you will rebuild even better than before.

Off topic...
Is that a GSXR?

OP
OP
E

eeeeek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks that you had to go through this.
It's a nightmare trying to save a tank when you don't have a replacement "in place".

I'm sure you will rebuild even better than before.

Off topic...
Is that a GSXR?
Yes, that's my old AMA bike. 2005 GSXR 1000, dialed in for road racing. It's worth more than It's worth, so I could never bring myself to sell it. I ended up making it part of my "I love me" wall.

20210122_135532.jpg

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NIIIIIICE!
I had a 07 and a 08 GSXR1000.
Technically the same bike but...

Extensive engine work on the 08.
I used to burn Busas UP on that bike! I used to burn everything up on that bike.

Now I have a ZX14R and a Suzuki M109R.

OP
OP
E

eeeeek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NIIIIIICE!
I had a 07 and a 08 GSXR1000.
Technically the same bike but...

Extensive engine work on the 08.
I used to burn Busas UP on that bike! I used to burn everything up on that bike.

Now I have a ZX14R and a Suzuki M109R.
The zx14 is a beast. Very long and surprisingly good handling. The Boulevard is probably more of my style these days as injuries prevent me from long rides on sport bikes. If I'm honest, I haven't gone for a ride in two years.

I got into reefing not long after I stopped actively racing. I needed a new hobby to suck up all my time and money and I didn't understand how similar they both were. Crashes in either can be devastating and the amount of planning and accessories needed for either is just funny.

I started racing with a used SV650 and a borrowed pickup. At the end, I had a crew cab dually 1 ton, an RV, an enclosed trailer, multiple bikes and redundant gear.

With reefing, I started with a 65 gallon tank and ended up with this tank, two QT tanks, a saltwater mixing station, the 100 gallon trough, Neptune Apex, etc.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe me, I understand!
I had an accident in 2018 that I will be recovering from probably for the rest of my life.
This happened the same day I bought the bike. I had not had her for even 20 hours yet.

I was in a 2 lane traffic circle (hate traffic circlrs). I was on the M109r in the outside lane and a car was speeding through the circle. I guess he wanted to be in my lane more than I did.
I was already at pretty much max lean for the cruiser so only thing I could do was try to move over to the right and hope to stay on the road.
I went from the lane to the white line, then over the white line to gravel then from gtavel to dirt.
I had not lost all traction (yet) and thought to myself "maybe I can make it out of this"
NOPE!
I tried to bring her back up and the tires just would not agree with me on my decision to get back to the road.

I went down on the road though, bike landed on my leg (I think) and broke my tibia right at the knee.

Of course I had no idea I was hurt yet. I'm just seeing my bike on its side down the road and saying to myself that this did NOT just happen!
The car stopped for the moment.
I got up, took one step and dropped to the ground.
The car took off once he saw that I was not dead.

I still had a zx14r mentality thinking I'm gonna pick up the bike and chase him down because NO CAR can get away from me even with a half mile lead!
I got up, took a step towards the bike and BAM! Straight back onto the ground.

All kinds of reality came crashing in on me.
I realized I'm actually hurt because I can't get up and walk, I'm on a cruiser that can't catch the fleeing car and I can't even get to the bike.

I broke my tibia at the knee (plateo break), fractured my ankle, cracked 2 ribs and lost a little skin.

I was in the hospital for a week after surgery and still suffer pain from this accident.

I was at the start of setting up an upgrade reef tank when the accident happened.
I had just put all my corals into a frag tank and fish into a temp tank.

I lost ALL corals because I could not take care of the frag tank in the months that I was unable to walk.

I'm still riding though and still reefing!

This is all in my build thread.

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All nice bikes after my gsxr 1k I wanted an H2 but that's a battle I'm still loosing with the wife! Hopefully in the near future I can convince her ! She says she'll think about it but I'll have to get another life insurance with it so she can cry in her Ferrari lol!

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an accident in 2018 that I will be recovering from probably for the rest of my life.
This happened the same day I bought the bike. I had not had her for even 20 hours yet.

I was in a 2 lane traffic circle (hate traffic circlrs). I was on the M109r in the outside lane and a car was speeding through the circle. I guess he wanted to be in my lane more than I did.
I was already at pretty much max lean for the cruiser so only thing I could do was try to move over to the right and hope to stay on the road.
I went from the lane to the white line, then over the white line to gravel then from gtavel to dirt.
I had not lost all traction (yet) and thought to myself "maybe I can make it out of this"
NOPE!
I tried to bring her back up and the tires just would not agree with me on my decision to get back to the road.

I went down on the road though, bike landed on my leg (I think) and broke my tibia right at the knee.

Of course I had no idea I was hurt yet. I'm just seeing my bike on its side down the road and saying to myself that this did NOT just happen!

I still had a zx14r mentality thinking I'm gonna pick up the bike and chase him down because NO CAR can get away from me even with a half mile lead!

I realized I'm actually hurt because I can't get up and walk, I'm on a cruiser that can't catch the fleeing car and I can't even get to the bike.

I broke my tibia at the knee (plateo break), fractured my ankle, cracked 2 ribs and lost a little skin.

I was in the hospital for a week after surgery and still suffer pain from this accident.

I was at the start of setting up an upgrade reef tank when the accident happened.

I lost ALL corals because I could not take care of the frag tank in the months that I was unable to walk.

You had gear? And glad you made it out of it sucks tho when things like that happen.

OP
OP
E

eeeeek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhat build related, I've been using the kitchen sink to clean things because it had a much better faucet and that just makes the kitchen smell bad. I got motivated to put in a better sprayer in the laundry room, where I already have my saltwater mixing station.

Before

20210213_140338.jpg

And after:

20210213_154925.jpg

OP
OP
E

eeeeek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NOPE!

I'm reading through your build thread now.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back