Red Sea 750xxl First tank need help please!

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, everyone here was great helping me start with the basics. I need your help again please!!! I have a Red Sea 750 XXL and I just filled it for the first time and while I think the sump may need another 5 or so gallons I started the return pump and the skimmer just to make sure it was working fine. When I first filled the tank with water and it started trickling down into the sump it did not come through the first chamber before the mesh filters rather it came from the return pump valve and leaked from the return pump ( I’m using a sicce as recommended pump) Then I filled water directly into the sumps first chamber and waited for it to flow into the other chambers, when the last chamber was filled to the automatic top off float I turned the pump and skimmer on, the pump immediately put the water in the tank and was out of water very quickly I think maybe the water is not coming from my flow pipes into the first chamber. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Last edited:

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it's coming out of the return pump plumbing then it sounds like your return lines in the tank are to low possibly, so gravity is just puking the water through the return line first.

What size pump are you running? I'd it's draining the pump section fast then you need to dial it back, if it's not a DC pump you need a valve on the return side so you can restrict the flow.

You have to find the happy middle, enough water coming down and the same going back to the display.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%

Back