Red Sea AB+ potential overfeeding?

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I am feeding the AB+ every other day, the instructions say to feed every day, I tried that, but after few days I get a little algae bloom. What's everyone's experience with this new coral food?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience it with A and B they really doesn't contribute much to waste levels. AB+ is pretty much just the two combined so I would figure it is similar. You only have to feed everyday if you run the red sea care guide (uses carbon dosing and very very low nitrate and phosphate) which limits your corals access to nitrate and phosphate, forcing you to feed the corals.

OP
OP
CEReefer

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I don't really follow their guide, I dose alk and ca.. do a 1% daily water change.. and dose vinegar to target 2-5ppm nitrate.. corals are doing great, not sure AB+ is doing anything more than just feeding with frozen food..

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I don't really follow their guide, I dose alk and ca.. do a 1% daily water change.. and dose vinegar to target 2-5ppm nitrate.. corals are doing great, not sure AB+ is doing anything more than just feeding with frozen food..

It definitely is different than frozen feeding as cnidarians and corals can take up the reef energy through their polyps with out having to capture and break down prey into its basic structures. Vinegar dosing is the same as nopox so it shouldn't hurt to dose everyday. Do you do the recommended amount? What is your phosphate at? Also, what kind of algae?

OP
OP
CEReefer

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s some sort of green/brown patina on my glass.. the trochus snails are doing a great job at it, but still.. no algae on the rocks or at least they eat it before I can see some.. I got 10 big trochus for 25gallons

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s some sort of green/brown patina on my glass.. the trochus snails are doing a great job at it, but still.. no algae on the rocks or at least they eat it before I can see some.. I got 10 big trochus for 25gallons

Do you know your phosphate level?

Jfarooqpak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience it raises Phosphate levels which would explain algae levels.

OP
OP
CEReefer

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphate is 0.07 nitrate is a solid 0, I will try to raise that, I am already feeding the heck out of them

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The solid 0 Nitrate is causing the algae.. 0 Nitrate is a common cause for dinos which might be what's on the glass. No matter what it is or what your overall solution will be.. step one... is clean all you can & raise nitrates to a level that creates a decent ratio range with phosphates. If you're feeding keeps everything happy and phosphates at that 0.07 range (which is good) then just use a nitrate additive to strategically increase only nitrates. Like neoNitro.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphate is 0.07 nitrate is a solid 0, I will try to raise that, I am already feeding the heck out of them
probably just reduce the amount of vinegar dosing if nutrients are low. In a 25 gallon overall tank nutrients should be handled mostly by the water changes each week so the vinegar dosing may be overkill

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely get some cyano if I dose AB-+ every day. I dose 1-2 times a week when I can remember and that seems to keep the tank clean of cyano but the corals still get the benefits of the dose. The bottle says it will not contribute to algae but nothing about cyano. My nutrients are always super low and AB helps to keep everything from bottoming out. Plus it’s fun to dose cause of the color

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back