Red Sea AB+ potential overfeeding?

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi! I am feeding the AB+ every other day, the instructions say to feed every day, I tried that, but after few days I get a little algae bloom. What's everyone's experience with this new coral food?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Spare time

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
In my experience it with A and B they really doesn't contribute much to waste levels. AB+ is pretty much just the two combined so I would figure it is similar. You only have to feed everyday if you run the red sea care guide (uses carbon dosing and very very low nitrate and phosphate) which limits your corals access to nitrate and phosphate, forcing you to feed the corals.

OP
CEReefer

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Oh, I don't really follow their guide, I dose alk and ca.. do a 1% daily water change.. and dose vinegar to target 2-5ppm nitrate.. corals are doing great, not sure AB+ is doing anything more than just feeding with frozen food..

Spare time

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Oh, I don't really follow their guide, I dose alk and ca.. do a 1% daily water change.. and dose vinegar to target 2-5ppm nitrate.. corals are doing great, not sure AB+ is doing anything more than just feeding with frozen food..

It definitely is different than frozen feeding as cnidarians and corals can take up the reef energy through their polyps with out having to capture and break down prey into its basic structures. Vinegar dosing is the same as nopox so it shouldn't hurt to dose everyday. Do you do the recommended amount? What is your phosphate at? Also, what kind of algae?

OP
CEReefer

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
It’s some sort of green/brown patina on my glass.. the trochus snails are doing a great job at it, but still.. no algae on the rocks or at least they eat it before I can see some.. I got 10 big trochus for 25gallons

Spare time

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
It’s some sort of green/brown patina on my glass.. the trochus snails are doing a great job at it, but still.. no algae on the rocks or at least they eat it before I can see some.. I got 10 big trochus for 25gallons

Do you know your phosphate level?

Is there anything that grosses you out about saltwater aquariums?

• Yes (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 140 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 177 55.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 0.9%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors