Red Sea AIO Max E-170

anthonyhdo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm new to the saltwater hobby and I just recently purchased the Red Sea MAX E-170 tank, I was curious about the filter and sponge option. Any suggestion on what to use in my media bag slots? Also do I just place the sponge in #7 slot? Sorry I could not find the picture for the 170, I don't have a sump, just what you see.
1580319529215.png

AlessandroB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, fellow max e-170 user here. Honestly I gave up on the sponge right away, when I realized that taking it out to clean it would have been a major hassle. I got instead an intank media basket for the max e-170, added a marine pure block cut to size for the bottom chamber, filter floss in the top slot and chemi-pure elite instead of the standard Red Sea carbon bag.
It has been working fine in the last 3 months.

OP
OP
A

anthonyhdo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, fellow max e-170 user here. Honestly I gave up on the sponge right away, when I realized that taking it out to clean it would have been a major hassle. I got instead an intank media basket for the max e-170, added a marine pure block cut to size for the bottom chamber, filter floss in the top slot and chemi-pure elite instead of the standard Red Sea carbon bag.
Do you have any recommendation to where I can purchase some of the items?

AlessandroB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mostly buy things on Amazon, but for the InTank media basket I went to their website. Amazon didn’t have the one for the RSM 170-E...

OP
OP
A

anthonyhdo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
newbie question, but how does the protein skimmer work? it appears to be on, and only does anything if I turn the white nozzle next to the skimmer (it foams up, but sometimes just overflows with water). It makes a hissing sound if I turn it, do I just keep it like that? Please help! thanks !

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
newbie question, but how does the protein skimmer work? it appears to be on, and only does anything if I turn the white nozzle next to the skimmer (it foams up, but sometimes just overflows with water). It makes a hissing sound if I turn it, do I just keep it like that? Please help! thanks !
I don’t have an all in one, but you want foam not overflow. The particulates will attach to the bubbles, will be removed by the collection cup which you empty. If your tank is new you probably don’t have enough waste to export.

OP
OP
A

anthonyhdo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have an all in one, but you want foam not overflow. The particulates will attach to the bubbles, will be removed by the collection cup which you empty. If your tank is new you probably don’t have enough waste to export.
that makes sense because I just got done cycling my tank. When I turn the nozzle it makes a hissing sound, is that normal?

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know as I don’t have that skimmer. Someone with the all in one would Probably know. I have the Reefer 170 with the sump.

AlessandroB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will make a hissing sound until you open it up more. If you are just starting, keep the water level control on the left to the bottom, and start opening the air valve until some bubbles come up. Do not open it too much if the water level in the collection cup rise too fast. It’s ok if it fills in 24hrs. The more the skimmer is getting efficient, the less water will be collected (but just waste, brown colored and distinctly smelling). Keep opening up the air valve more and more every day until it’s fully open (there will be no hiss) but you still not having to empty the cup too often.
After this, you can start raising the water control level on the left.
In my experience, optimal skimming is when the water control level gate is at level with the skimmer neck (the bottom of the cup), the valve is fully open, and you need to empty the cup every few days.
But remember, things you add to the thank Will cause the skimmer to either stop skimming or over skimming. So adjusting both the valve and the gate is something you will have to do periodically.

Johny Cash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Guys,

i am new here like today new,

I have a red sea e-170 and after reading posts above I decided to go ahead and buy the intank basket,

I was thinking of placing filter floss in the bottom as flat and directly on top of the floss in same bracket fluval ceramic bag, bracket above like to place chemi pure, then bracket above carbon and filter floss in the small slot.

by putting a filter floss before fluval ceramic bag i though catching all large particles would be better.

What you guys think?

sramos1104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will make a hissing sound until you open it up more. If you are just starting, keep the water level control on the left to the bottom, and start opening the air valve until some bubbles come up. Do not open it too much if the water level in the collection cup rise too fast. It’s ok if it fills in 24hrs. The more the skimmer is getting efficient, the less water will be collected (but just waste, brown colored and distinctly smelling). Keep opening up the air valve more and more every day until it’s fully open (there will be no hiss) but you still not having to empty the cup too often.
In my experience, optimal skimming is when the water control level gate is at level with the skimmer neck (the bottom of the cup), the valve is fully open, and you need to empty the cup every few days.
But remember, things you add to the thank Will cause the skimmer to either stop skimming or over skimming. So adjusting both the valve and the gate is something you will have to do periodically.

Found your post as I'm trying to figure out how to tune the protein skimmer on my new 170 max. I used your advice to try and learn how to tune the skimmer. I noticed when I remove the white air valve piece, I can still hear the air noise...does this eventually go away once the skimmer adjusts? Or is there always some noise unless you completely close off the air? Am I also wasting my time since I am still trying to cycle so there isn't much for the skimmer to do yet? Or should I not try to tune it for a few weeks? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to get to the optimal position you mention above! Thanks!

AlessandroB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found your post as I'm trying to figure out how to tune the protein skimmer on my new 170 max. I used your advice to try and learn how to tune the skimmer. I noticed when I remove the white air valve piece, I can still hear the air noise...does this eventually go away once the skimmer adjusts? Or is there always some noise unless you completely close off the air? Am I also wasting my time since I am still trying to cycle so there isn't much for the skimmer to do yet? Or should I not try to tune it for a few weeks? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to get to the optimal position you mention above! Thanks!

The hissing noise should go away with time (or maybe I just got used to it so I don’t hear it anymore...)
If you are still cycling there’s no much that the slimmer can take, I would leave it with the air almost all closed and the gate lowered to the bottom. No point of wet skimming and having to empty the cup every few hours at this stage. You could also just turn it off until you have some livestock but in my experience it does help to keep it running, kind of “greasing” the engine.
Good luck!

Neuel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thanks for the help.

Also could you guys put a link for the media basket that you all are using?

Josebelthobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture ?
I have the intank rank instead the Red Sea rack I just wanna make sure I’m using in the cv right way.
The top part where the filter floss go It’s facing to the return pump ?

sramos1104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture ?
I have the intank rank instead the Red Sea rack I just wanna make sure I’m using in the cv right way.
The top part where the filter floss go It’s facing to the return pump ?

Correct...Filter flow is on the return pump side. The small handle to lift the media basket is along the very back wall.

Back