Red Sea Air in Drain and Noisy

AKLiving

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve searched for other posts but never saw resolution to the problem. With both ends submerged the only thing I can think of is that there is a leak in one of the fittings for air to enter.
Here is a YouTube link to a video of it:
Noisy Drain - Reefer 350 G2

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve searched for other posts but never saw resolution to the problem. With both ends submerged the only thing I can think of is that there is a leak in one of the fittings for air to enter.
Here is a YouTube link to a video of it:
Noisy Drain - Reefer 350 G2
Would you mind updating the privacy settings on the youtube video? I was not able to view currently
Screenshot (215).png

OP
OP
AKLiving

AKLiving

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind updating the privacy settings on the youtube video? I was not able to view currently
Screenshot (215).png
Hmmmm. I set to public and will check again.

EDIT: Selected public again. Even private should be viewable with a direct link. Maybe try again?

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump. Anyone?
Sorry AKliving, I have not had a chance to circle back since the last time - it looks like there is quite a bit of air being taken into the overflow down pipe. You should be able to resolve this by slowing closing the gate valve (it should show OPEN/CLOSE arrows on the red circular dial).
If you slowly close the valve it will increase the level in the main aquarium so that the red tube in the display overflow with the clear plastic box around it is no longer able to suck in air. You can start by making larger adjustments to get 'within range' and then you will want to make smaller/fine adjustments (while waiting at least a minute or two between changes) until it is quiet, but also still flowing through the sump quick enough that your return pump does not start sucking air from the other end.
Over time you will begin to get a feel for where 'it should be' and it will become less cumbersome and faster to set. It will require re-adjustment every so often - likely when doing water changes or other similar things.-
The last thing I will drop it a link to this video (the video is the old valve but similar idea)

If you are still struggling try adding more water volume to the tank - as long as the sump does not overflow when the return pump is turned off you can keep adding water (obv you dont want it right at the rim, so this is 'within reason')

Hopefully something there helps

OP
OP
AKLiving

AKLiving

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry AKliving, I have not had a chance to circle back since the last time - it looks like there is quite a bit of air being taken into the overflow down pipe. You should be able to resolve this by slowing closing the gate valve (it should show OPEN/CLOSE arrows on the red circular dial).
If you slowly close the valve it will increase the level in the main aquarium so that the red tube in the display overflow with the clear plastic box around it is no longer able to suck in air. You can start by making larger adjustments to get 'within range' and then you will want to make smaller/fine adjustments (while waiting at least a minute or two between changes) until it is quiet, but also still flowing through the sump quick enough that your return pump does not start sucking air from the other end.
Over time you will begin to get a feel for where 'it should be' and it will become less cumbersome and faster to set. It will require re-adjustment every so often - likely when doing water changes or other similar things.-
The last thing I will drop it a link to this video (the video is the old valve but similar idea)

If you are still struggling try adding more water volume to the tank - as long as the sump does not overflow when the return pump is turned off you can keep adding water (obv you dont want it right at the rim, so this is 'within reason')

Hopefully something there helps

Thank you. I probably should have given more details. My video shows a lot. I was aware of those steps and followed Red Sea’s tutorial. Both ends are completely submerged so no way water could enter there (you don’t see any air getting sucked in the opening). I did gross adjustments then with fine adjustments every 10 minutes or so to give time for it to settle. The main drain is completely submerged with the water level well over it and about 1/2” below the emergency drain. So, I can’t really raise the tank level more without the e-drain being used and then the noise of an open drain.
I have my sicce syncra 6.0 at 40% or roughly 6-1/2 times turnover of water volume (calculated, not measured). Turning down the pump helped with noise only because less volume = less air/water mixing = less noise.

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for posting the follow up result, glad you found the problem!

Phamousreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Problem solved. An air leak at the first union with the flex pipe. Applied a VERY liberal amount of silicone grease this time and now no more bubbles. The only thing I hear now is the hum of the MP40 and occasional ATO fill.
Can you explain this? My tank is making noise as well from the emergency pipes it’s driving me crazy

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back