Red Sea Calcium BETA and other potential tests via mixing reagents!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi,

I saw the Red Sea Calcium Pro BETA (Reef Test Kit) directions for use on ReefBot image on your website.

Reef Kinetics ReefBot Red Sea Calcium BETA.png

So seeing this gave me some ideas. Since you're combining a powder reagent with the 3rd liquid reagent. I'm assuming you'll be able to do this with other brands of test kits eventually, correct? Such as NYOS or Giesemann?

As for proper amounts, simply using a gram scale that reads down to 0.01 or 0.001 grams would work. You can buy one off of Amazon for around $20. You would simply need to give us the mixing parameters, for example 20 grams liquid reagent C, and 0.5 grams of powder reagent B. Shake it up, or put it in a separate table top magnetic stirrer, and you're good to go.

Are their potentially other reagents you could combine? Like turn a 3 part reagent Magnesium test kit into 2, or a 2 part reagent Nitrate or Phosphate into 1 part? This potentially would allow use to run all 5 major elements (Alk, Ca, Mg, NO3, and PO4) on one machine at the same time.

Obviously supporting the different brands and mix stability would have to be after Reef Kinetics own internal testing, but the idea seems sound to me.

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello and thanks for your feedback.
We are still working on this specific test, as reagents might not stay stable for a long time. This is why it’s still in beta phase.
We will keep you updated.
As per the other parameters. We are testing some internally. Not all reagents can be mixed together.

Happy Reefing!

OP
OP
HomeSlizzice

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
We are still working on this specific test, as reagents might not stay stable for a long time. This is why it’s still in beta phase.
As per the other parameters. We are testing some internally. Not all reagents can be mixed together.

Happy Reefing!

Good to know!! Thank you for the response. I’m excited to see what you find. Being able to test all 5 at the same time, from mixing different reagents would be ideal

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score

Happy Reefing!
Reagents only stay stable for a few hours after mixing. The calcium pro test works after B an C are mixed but 12 hours later, it doesnt.

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks for the great support. Do you think I may have a faulty unit?
Nooooo, your unit is fine. Most probably from the reagents, as you may know this test is still in beta and we still are working on extending the shelf life.
I recommend api Calcium on the ReefBot, this test is one of the most stable and accurate.

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Nooooo, your unit is fine. Most probably from the reagents, as you may know this test is still in beta and we still are working on extending the shelf life.
I recommend api Calcium on the ReefBot, this test is one of the most stable and accurate.
OK good to know. I have API kits on order but they are difficult to get in HK,

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Just ran another test after shaking B and C for 5 minutes. Still getting 290ppm

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 36.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 52 29.2%
Back