Red Sea Coral Pro Mix : Lesson learned!

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there! I recently had a nightmare recently with my salt and I did this video to help people no matter what brand you use, I hope it won't happen to you, lesson learned!

Some tips people give me:
Use a Paint Mixer
Turn your bucket upside down for couple minute

If you have more let's hear it :)

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had any issues with the salt. I always mix it a little with my hand and break up any clumps before I make the water. I think your problem was partly bc you dosed alk at the same time as the water change. Also what was the volume of water you changed?
I've had my alk get up over 20dkh when I first set up my calcium reactor. Which was my mistake for not testing every day. But I just turned it off and let it come down on it's own. Took about 3 weeks. I lost zero coral amazingly. I think part of your issue was the drastic change fast and then bringing it back down fast.

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test the water directly into a small bowl has show in the video. I did multiple test and they vary a little bit but they were all bad. After I mixed the salt, tested again in the bowl and the results were fine!
50% (!) in a small aquarium 33g, so having a bad mix = dead combo

I did another water change after seeing all my coral die overnight.

But yeah, drastic change doesn't help, right now i'm doing nothing to my tank, I let it "cool down"

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow 50% that's alot of a water change. I keep my levels relatively high compared to others. Alk at 10, cal 460ish, mag 1400ish, and my nitrates are about 4-5 and po4 is usually around .10 when I do water changes about 15% my numbers dont move. But if you keep your numbers lower mixing in high numbers like the coral pro will drastically change your system. I would do no more that an 3-5 gallon water change on your system at any given time. Let alone not adding 2 part with that much water would really make those numbers insanely high. Bc even if your alk mixed at 15 and cal over 500. If you do less than 10% the reality of your system drastically jumping is minimal.

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow 50% that's alot of a water change. I keep my levels relatively high compared to others. Alk at 10, cal 460ish, mag 1400ish, and my nitrates are about 4-5 and po4 is usually around .10 when I do water changes about 15% my numbers dont move. But if you keep your numbers lower mixing in high numbers like the coral pro will drastically change your system. I would do no more that an 3-5 gallon water change on your system at any given time. Let alone not adding 2 part with that much water would really make those numbers insanely high. Bc even if your alk mixed at 15 and cal over 500. If you do less than 10% the reality of your system drastically jumping is minimal.
I was actually thinking about that... If you see the coral diying, because of the difference of parameter, would be better to leave as is, watching them diying and crossing finger life find a way... or changing again drastically to normal parameter and hoping they don't die because of the shock... I'm perplex between those solution

Back