Red sea coral pro salt mix

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering how long to mix my salt and water with a power head. I have watched the brs video which recommends over 8 hours. But on the container i believe it says do not mix more than 2 hours.
Thanks!
Paul.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the Red Sea Pro salt - do not mix more than the recommendation of max 2 hours. Its a salt with elevated values and there may be precipitation if too long mixing

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Paul31733

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone!! I have been mixing for an hour. But was concerned to see the brs video.
Thanks everyone and @Lasse you seem to always help!! Big thanks to you!!

Doug Geib

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the water temp in the mixing bucket is different from that in the tank, would that cause an issue?

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With so many uncertainties of what really is the proper way to mix/store Red Sea Coral Pro Salt, we have all had to just do our best and hope for the best. I suspect that like most things every situation is different. Location of where the storage container is, do you keep the air on all the time, are you in a cold climate, warm climate, and many other factors.

I personally have a 75 Gallon container that starts with RODI water. I have a Neptune COR pump that is constantly circulating the water and a pump that is filtering the water which you will see later. COR Pump is normally just set to 50%.

1605988372814.png

Once a week I stop the filter pump and I turn the COR pump up to 100% and add the salt. The container is in my basement and the water (no heater involved) is usually around 72.5/22.5 degrees. Normally I'm doing this at night during the week since I work so usually I just let it mix overnight (I understand it's not recommended but fits for my lifestyle and time constraints). In the morning I'll turn the pump back down to 50% and then start my filter pump and circulate the water through the canister/filter to capture any of the nasties that might develop in the water.

1605988914273.png

Then on Sunday (my designated water change day), I'll do a 15% water change on my 60 Gallon and 10% change on my 240 Gallon. Sometimes a bigger one depending on if I have issues in the tank which is why I always like to have the bin full and ready.

Whatever I don't use stays in the bin and I just fill the remaining tank up with RODI again and rinse/repeat weekly. Sometimes I start mixing the salt on Wednesday, sometimes on Thursday or Friday or Saturday.....really just depends on what I have going on during the week.

Right or Wrong, just thought I would share what I do with this particular salt.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With so many uncertainties of what really is the proper way to mix/store Red Sea Coral Pro Salt, we have all had to just do our best and hope for the best. I suspect that like most things every situation is different. Location of where the storage container is, do you keep the air on all the time, are you in a cold climate, warm climate, and many other factors.

I personally have a 75 Gallon container that starts with RODI water. I have a Neptune COR pump that is constantly circulating the water and a pump that is filtering the water which you will see later. COR Pump is normally just set to 50%.

1605988372814.png

Once a week I stop the filter pump and I turn the COR pump up to 100% and add the salt. The container is in my basement and the water (no heater involved) is usually around 72.5/22.5 degrees. Normally I'm doing this at night during the week since I work so usually I just let it mix overnight (I understand it's not recommended but fits for my lifestyle and time constraints). In the morning I'll turn the pump back down to 50% and then start my filter pump and circulate the water through the canister/filter to capture any of the nasties that might develop in the water.

1605988914273.png

Then on Sunday (my designated water change day), I'll do a 15% water change on my 60 Gallon and 10% change on my 240 Gallon. Sometimes a bigger one depending on if I have issues in the tank which is why I always like to have the bin full and ready.

Whatever I don't use stays in the bin and I just fill the remaining tank up with RODI again and rinse/repeat weekly. Sometimes I start mixing the salt on Wednesday, sometimes on Thursday or Friday or Saturday.....really just depends on what I have going on during the week.

Right or Wrong, just thought I would share what I do with this particular salt.
Do you test salinity each time you make a new batch? Or add the same amouny each time minus the calculated bit for left over salt water?
I like the idea of the prefilter, i will have to employ this when im plumbing my mixing station :)
Also does the filter negate you having to clean out the tank?
Or just prolong?

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guestimate how much salt I will need to add and then test salinity and adjust accordingly. Without fail I will make sure it is to my desired salinity.

The canister/filter will likely just prolong the need to clean out the bin. I've yet to need to clean it out but I'm assuming at some point I will need to. Tanks only been running 8 months.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guestimate how much salt I will need to add and then test salinity and adjust accordingly. Without fail I will make sure it is to my desired salinity.

The canister/filter will likely just prolong the need to clean out the bin. I've yet to need to clean it out but I'm assuming at some point I will need to. Tanks only been running 8 months.
Excellent. Thank you kindly for the reply :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back