Red Sea LED 90 setup; full intensity ok?

dnprall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was set up in December 2022 and when my LFS did so, they used the 15K program but at 50% intensity (not the 100% like the default program is set).

I'm looking at the PAR mapping down by Bulk Reef Supply on the 24" cube tank (mine is a little smaller) ( https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cont...his-is-the-red-sea-reefled-brstv-investigates ). They ran the 15K preset at 100% intensity. Looks like even at 6 inches below the surface in the center, an SPS might be happy but there doesn't appear enough PAR further from center. This might explain why a small SPS failed on me (one of several things I'm sure) since the PAR at 50% likely was not nearly enough.

My question: Do I run the risk of harming my tank by just doing the 15K preset at 100% intensity? I'm not sure why my LFS started at 50%. Any pros/cons? Increase risk of algae/cyano/etc?

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was set up in December 2022 and when my LFS did so, they used the 15K program but at 50% intensity (not the 100% like the default program is set).

I'm looking at the PAR mapping down by Bulk Reef Supply on the 24" cube tank (mine is a little smaller) ( https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cont...his-is-the-red-sea-reefled-brstv-investigates ). They ran the 15K preset at 100% intensity. Looks like even at 6 inches below the surface in the center, an SPS might be happy but there doesn't appear enough PAR further from center. This might explain why a small SPS failed on me (one of several things I'm sure) since the PAR at 50% likely was not nearly enough.

My question: Do I run the risk of harming my tank by just doing the 15K preset at 100% intensity? I'm not sure why my LFS started at 50%. Any pros/cons? Increase risk of algae/cyano/etc?

No risk if raised slowly.
The 500 par at surface claim at 15k by redsea is incorrect in my testing & BRS rightly showed more accurate figures.
I have SPS around 4 inch from surface with light 8 inches above & hit around 280 par with those.

OP
OP
D

dnprall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No risk if raised slowly.
The 500 par at surface claim at 15k by redsea is incorrect in my testing & BRS rightly showed more accurate figures.
I have SPS around 4 inch from surface with light 8 inches above & hit around 280 par with those.
Thanks! What intensity?

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think this light puts out more PUR which our cheaper par meters don’t measure as accurately. I would use the acclimation feature if you have expensive coral so you don’t bleach them. Nutrients are a big factor in dialing in par. Jmo

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at 15k 100% now.as is usually the case the white really pushes the PAR.
I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand the PUR Vs PAR logic redsea describe but I do know par tests with blue channel at 100% & whites at 50% were surprisingly low.
I've since added additional kessil light to push par/spread.
I do like the reefled lights.
Great bang for buck & good price.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back