Red Sea Magnesium test kit, am I reading this right?

Dw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a Red Sea magnesium test kit and want to make sure I'm reading it properly. I normally use Salifert, but something was wrong with it so I got the Red Sea kit and the directions for reading it seem backwards from Salifert. If I have a final reading of 0.30 then I have used 0.70 of the Titrant and have a Magnesium level of 1400.
Is this correct?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way to make sure you are not reading kits backwards (which is not uncommon) is that the more fluid you add to get to the color change, the higher is the value for alk, calcium, magnesium, etc.

OP
OP
Dw79

Dw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way to make sure you are not reading kits backwards (which is not uncommon) is that the more fluid you add to get to the color change, the higher is the value for alk, calcium, magnesium, etc.
Thank you.
Just wanted to make I was reading the instuctions properly, because the Salifert test kits give you a reading based on the number you get on the titrant and not having to count how much you have used like Red sea does. As with most things, once you get used to doing things a certain way, someone comes along and changes it on you and you have to learn all over again.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea should really make it more like salifert tests since it is an unnecessary step that can confuse people. I am not sure who thought it was a great idea at Red Sea to make it this way

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back