Red Sea Magnesium Test Kit

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Red Sea's Mg test kit since I started reefing. I'm wondering how accurate it is, and if anyone has a suggestion on a Mg test kit to try? I just received back my 2nd Triton ICP test and have had low Mg in both cases. 1297ppm in November test, and 1253ppm in December test. HOWEVER, my Red Sea test reads 1450ppm. My Mg has ALWAYS tested hight with the Red Sea kit; and therefore, have never once dosed Mg into my tank. I'm onto my 2nd Mg test kit, so I'm thinking its Red Sea and not just a 'bad' kit.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Red Sea's Mg test kit since I started reefing. I'm wondering how accurate it is, and if anyone has a suggestion on a Mg test kit to try? I just received back my 2nd Triton ICP test and have had low Mg in both cases. 1297ppm in November test, and 1253ppm in December test. HOWEVER, my Red Sea test reads 1450ppm. My Mg has ALWAYS tested hight with the Red Sea kit; and therefore, have never once dosed Mg into my tank. I'm onto my 2nd Mg test kit, so I'm thinking its Red Sea and not just a 'bad' kit.
The happened to me exactly the same, the Red Sea was always very high, 1400 + etc and a Triton test confirmed it was around 1270, so it went in the bin.

I purchased the NYOS Magnesium kit, it matched Triton within about 5ppm and it’s just so simple to do. Takes a minute or so, no waiting, counting, waiting counting........

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The happened to me exactly the same, the Red Sea was always very high, 1400 + etc and a Triton test confirmed it was around 1270, so it went in the bin.

I purchased the NYOS Magnesium kit, it matched Triton within about 5ppm and it’s just so simple to do. Takes a minute or so, no waiting, counting, waiting counting........

Good to know. Similar situation as @Andrew Schubert. ICP reads 1286ppm and RS kit tests 1380ppm. I'll try NYOS.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting. My fresh mix reef crystals is always 1600+ with red sea. If I mix up just salinity or mix them I'm down around 1350 or so. I wonder what my mag really is. I have an issue with low ALK when mixing even fresh reef crystals. I mixed a batch on Saturday and mixed/heated it overnight, tested Sunday and my mag was 1620, Cal 480, ALK 6.9. I added ALK to get it to 9 and 2 hours later it was 7.

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased Aquatic Forest mag test kit. BRS seems to like it, so I am planning on giving that a shot. IF NOT, I'll try the NYOS next. Seems like high levels with Red Sea is common place I guess.

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased Aquatic Forest mag test kit. BRS seems to like it, so I am planning on giving that a shot. IF NOT, I'll try the NYOS next. Seems like high levels with Red Sea is common place I guess.
Finally got my Aquatic Forest Mag test in the mail today. On first reading my Mg is at 1340, which is about dead on. So on first glance I'd give the test kit a thumbs up for anyone wanting to try it.

One cool thing with the test, is it gives you a reference sample that has been ICP verified that you can test your test kit against. I think this is an awesome idea, that I wish all companies would do. Gives me a little more comfort knowing if my kit is accurate.

I actually, haven't tried the reference solution yet, as I didn't realize what it was until after I did my test...but according to where I expect my Mg to be, it seems to be dead on (unlike the Red Sea).

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reading must be taken at the first change in test solution color, not when the color turns blue. I have calibrated my Red sea kit against seawater using this method (the method recommended by RedSea) & found it to be quite accurate.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're having the same issue with Red Sea. It's saying we're at 1600ppm for Mg. I find that hard to believe. Going to send off for ICP testing today, so we'll see what the difference is. Might check out the Nyos test.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reading must be taken at the first change in test solution color, not when the color turns blue. I have calibrated my Red sea kit against seawater using this method (the method recommended by RedSea) & found it to be quite accurate.

Yup. Read the directions closely. I agree.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar problems with Redsea. Threw it in the trash and bought a Salifert.

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused now. I've been doing it by Red Sea's video and says take it to blue? Think I'll try Nyos myself. Never compared against anything.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back