Red Sea max 130D - install led in the hood

Lion_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers,

I have a Red Sea max 130D I want to to upgrade the light to but without ditching the hood (I like it that its closed).
the hood is about 5-8 cm from the water (there is a clear plastic for protecting the lights from water)

My thoughts are installing 1 Ration XR15 or 2 AI primes inside the hood, but I'm thinking I will have a problem with fan space , between the fixture and the hood.
Anyone has experience with that?

My second thought is installing 2 led strips of 60cm, which might be better as they don't have fans.
The tank uses as a frag tank so my main goal is growth

Thanks!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi reefers,

I have a Red Sea max 130D I want to to upgrade the light to but without ditching the hood (I like it that its closed).
the hood is about 5-8 cm from the water (there is a clear plastic for protecting the lights from water)

My thoughts are installing 1 Ration XR15 or 2 AI primes inside the hood, but I'm thinking I will have a problem with fan space , between the fixture and the hood.
Anyone has experience with that?

My second thought is installing 2 led strips of 60cm, which might be better as they don't have fans.
The tank uses as a frag tank so my main goal is growth

Thanks!
I have owned both lights - I do not see how your plan would work. Mainly because the recommended height for both lights is 8 inches above the water level. Second the newer Radions have the fan on the top - the old ones have the fan on the bottom so either way - the fan will be blocked. I think heat will be a problem.

I also think temperature might be a problem with LED strips (Depending on what you mean by that).

One possibility would be to call echotech and see if they have any comments. Their tech support dept is quite helpful IME

Who.Me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you feel up for a bit of simple DIY; RapidLed used to make retrofit kits for the RSM 130D that came with a comprehensive set of instructions for how to make an LED unit that fits inside the hood without cutting. The kits replaced the existing flourescents.

They don't sell that kit anymore, but someone uploaded their instruction booklet here RSM 130D LED kit instructions. And thanks to the wayback internet archive project, it's possible to view the original specification pages that include the complete parts lists for the various kits.
The pages take a while to load and you'll get some errors due to missing pictures, but you can view the various options from this link RSM LED Retrofit kits that is a snapshot taken by the wayback project in September 2016. If you follow the links in the banner across the top, there is one for their 'LED University' that includes other helpful tips that are relevant to the LEDs specified in the kit.

LEDs have moved on since the kit was developed, but the instructions are so basic and step-by-step, that I'm following them and using the parts they recommended back in 2016, because it's easier than trying to work out what type of driver works with which combination of LED.

This is the parts list for the non-dimmable LEDs kit...
The linked page above also describes a different list of LEDs for the 'full spectrum' kit (1 Red, 1 Green, 4 UV, 7 Cool White, 14 Royal Blue). I'll be building that kit. Using the info from their old page on the LED University, I've selected the following for red, green and UV, because they're compatible with the drivers listed above...

Red - 'deep red CREE XP-E'
Green - 'turquoise CREE XR-E'
UV - 'UV CREE XM-L2'

I've ordered the LEDs and heatsink from AliExpress and the drivers and thermal grease from ebay. So far it's worked out at £95. I have wire etc already to hand.

Who.Me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished.

It makes the tank look a little pink though. Going to try covering the hot red led to see if that tones it down. If so, I'll replace that one.

DSC_0005rotated.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG

Back