Red Sea max 130D - installing led in the hood

Lion_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers,

I have a Red Sea max 130D I want to to upgrade the light to but without ditching the hood (I like it that its closed).
the hood is about 5-7 xm from the water (there is clear plastic to protect the lights from the water)

My thoughts are installing 1 Ration XR15 or 2 AI primes, but I'm thinking I will have a problem with fan space , between the fixture and the hood.
Anyone has experience with that?

My second thought is installing 2 led strips of 60cm, which might be better as they don't have fans.
The tank uses as a frag tank so growth is my main goal.

thanks!

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the Steve LED Retrofit onto the hood of my Red Sea Max 130D (no long have the tank). The Retrofit worked really well as mixed Reef.
I don't think you will be able to get anything like XR15 to fit without hack the hood up really good. Also, the light will probably too close the the water surface (not idea for good spread).
BTW, I still have the hood with Steve LED retrofit. Let me know if you are interested.

OP
OP
L

Lion_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the Steve LED Retrofit onto the hood of my Red Sea Max 130D (no long have the tank). The Retrofit worked really well as mixed Reef.
I don't think you will be able to get anything like XR15 to fit without hack the hood up really good. Also, the light will probably too close the the water surface (not idea for good spread).
BTW, I still have the hood with Steve LED retrofit. Let me know if you are interested.
I prefer standart fixture incase ill want to use it for other tank,
but that's an option send me the details in a msg

about the water height- you probably right won't give good spread.
what do you think about the led strip option?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back