Red Sea Max 250 All In One- chiller questions

cronerw2007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’m new to saltwater. I just purchased a Red Sea Max 250 all in one (used) for a really good price. I’ve read there may be issues with the lights/hood causing the tank temp to run hot. Anyone have issues with this? If so, did the chiller correct the issue? And what type of chiller will work good? Thank y’all

muggle reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 130D, and had that very problem. I had to run a chiller. You might be able to run the front hood open, along with the cover for the protein skimmer, then there is a fan that can be added. It will also help if it is in a room with no direct light. The cooler the room the better. Watch your temperatures and if it won't run under 82 degrees you will need a chiller. I personally think under 80 works best. If your tank is wanting to sit above 82 though you will need the chiller in my opinion.

OP
OP
cronerw2007

cronerw2007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m making RO water tonight and start cycling tomorrow night. I didn’t think of leaving the front of the hood and skimmer cover open. I’d like to try and keep the temp around 78 if possible. Is there a specific chiller I need to be on the look out for if the temp does get too warm? I have the tank on an interior wall with no direct sunlight and my wife keeps the house at 70.

muggle reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you are starting cycling, see where your temperature sits at first. I think wait until you add light or add light for a couple days towards the end of the cycle and see where you are at temp wise. With the house temp at 70 you may not need a chiller at all. My tank is smaller than yours, are you in the 70 gallon range? Mine is a 35. I think my chiller is 1/15 horsepower Jb. That might still be enough for your tank. But if you can avoid running a chiller that is best as they are expensive. The problem is due to salt water they have to have a titanium core.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to mount window box fans (12" diameter ones" behind the tank that would blow air behind the tank past the skimmer and under the hood. Kept it around 80 but yes fatal flaw of these tanks. The t5s heat the tank up.

OP
OP
cronerw2007

cronerw2007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its 66 gallon. I really didn’t want to have to run the chiller if I didn’t have too. They are expensive, and I have read there are a few issues with the chiller need a certain amount of space under the cabinet or needing to be placed outside the cabinet. Just started adding Ro water/salt to the tank this morning. I like your comment on leaving the front section of the hood open. I think I’d be fine without one. I’m new with saltwater and am trying to think of anything that could happen and just wanted to be prepared. Thank you

OP
OP
cronerw2007

cronerw2007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to mount window box fans (12" diameter ones" behind the tank that would blow air behind the tank past the skimmer and under the hood. Kept it around 80 but yes fatal flaw of these tanks. The t5s heat the tank up.
You think it’d be possible to beef up all the fans? Like using a higher air flow “computer “ fan possibly?

muggle reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely think wait and see, you do not have to make this decision now. Your tank is like mine just double the size so another trick. You can buy adhesive stick on thermometers that attach to the outside of the tank. Stick one in the corner right by the back of the tank, lower left or lower right. Then you can do an instant temp check any time. Costs a buck or two, with the black sump unit it is not obtrusive as it is dark and about 4 inches long by 1/2 wide. Hopefully petco or your local fish shop will have them. I got mine right after I bought the tank on recommendation of my shop.

JAC-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its 66 gallon. I really didn’t want to have to run the chiller if I didn’t have too. They are expensive, and I have read there are a few issues with the chiller need a certain amount of space under the cabinet or needing to be placed outside the cabinet. Just started adding Ro water/salt to the tank this morning. I like your comment on leaving the front section of the hood open. I think I’d be fine without one. I’m new with saltwater and am trying to think of anything that could happen and just wanted to be prepared. Thank you
Hello friend, welcome to the hobby.

I just wanted to point out that if you do go with the chiller you will be better off if it can be placed outside of your cabinet.

Chillers move the heat out of your water and into the air around the unit. It will be more efficient if the air it's moving the heat into isn't in a box with your sump.

If you can't make it look good enough outside, It should still work fine inside the cabinet, just less efficiently.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
cronerw2007

cronerw2007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely think wait and see, you do not have to make this decision now. Your tank is like mine just double the size so another trick. You can buy adhesive stick on thermometers that attach to the outside of the tank. Stick one in the corner right by the back of the tank, lower left or lower right. Then you can do an instant temp check any time. Costs a buck or two, with the black sump unit it is not obtrusive as it is dark and about 4 inches long by 1/2 wide. Hopefully petco or your local fish shop will have them. I got mine right after I bought the tank on recommendation of my shop.
That’s exactly what I was going to do with the thermometer. I’ll wait before I purchase a chiller to see if I even need it. Thank you for your comments

OP
OP
cronerw2007

cronerw2007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friend, welcome to the hobby.

I just wanted to point out that if you do go with the chiller you will be better off if it can be placed outside of your cabinet.

Chillers move the heat out of your water and into the air around the unit. It will be more efficient if the air it's moving the heat into isn't in a box with your sump.

If you can't make it look good enough outside, It should still work fine inside the cabinet, just less efficiently.

Best of luck.
My sump is completely built into the back of the tank. In the cabinet is completely empty. I’m going to monitor the temp during the cycle process and see what happens. My wife keeps our house at 70 degrees year round and my tank is not in direct light. I really think I’ll be fine, I was just trying to look ahead of issues I might face

JAC-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is completely built into the back of the tank. In the cabinet is completely empty. I’m going to monitor the temp during the cycle process and see what happens. My wife keeps our house at 70 degrees year round and my tank is not in direct light. I really think I’ll be fine, I was just trying to look ahead of issues I might face
Good thinking friend. Yes I suspect you will be fine too, I definitely wouldn't be concerned if you're running a screen top.

Hope to see pictures of your tank as you progress.

OP
OP
cronerw2007

cronerw2007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my wife a Savannah Cat a few months ago. He’s already jumping on top of it. That’s a lot of the reason I wanted one with a full canopy. I’m almost finished making the last few gallons of ro water so I can get this thing cycled

68343273-36E8-4D01-AD33-0115A6008350.png

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your ambient temp is 70 you are going to be well above 85F without fans. When I first set mine up my apartment was at 68 or so and it ran at 86F.

The fans brought it down to 80-82.

muggle reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you end up needing the chiller, I run mine in the cabinet under the tank. I can see why with the kitty you might end up keeping the hood closed. We typically kept our hood closed just for cosmetic reasons. Our prior house also had skylights and the room tended to be on the warmer side also.

Red Sea makes a piece that mounts into the upper back of your tank, where the lines for a chiller can be mounted in. You will need a pump in Your sump to send water to the chiller. I run some sort of small sicce pump, I don:t know model off hand but probably in the 1.5 range as that is what my behind tank sump return pump is.

We are lucky we have 4 cats, but none of them are interested in the tank.

OP
OP
cronerw2007

cronerw2007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy I bought the tank from also gave me a ton of extra parts. Like, new fans, extra skimmer, and the chiller attachment. What chiller are you using? I’m trying to research what would work best before I need one. Our 3 normal house cats are pretty lazy and aren’t too interested in much. The Savannah we just got, he is like having a toddler in the house. Lol. He is everywhere!! He just realized there are all sorts of things to knock of the kitchen counter. lol

muggle reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think mine is a JBJ. To my understanding there is not a lot of difference among the various chillers. They are essentially a mini fridge with an expensive condenser coil.

Those Savannah's have a reputation of being a bit more high energy than the typical "domestic" house cat. My wife is a cat lover I don't really buy that cats are domesticated but Savannahs are bit more wild. It will keep you on your toes.

I am glad you got plenty of extras with the tank. I think you will enjoy.

OP
OP
cronerw2007

cronerw2007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m excited. I tried saltwater about 10 years ago and it didn’t go well. I wasn’t patient and rushed. I got a lot of things wrong then. Now, I’ve taken time to research and ask questions and not get in a hurry. I’m currently working 7-12’s at work. I have time to research before I jump into anything too fast.

Back