Red Sea Max E-170 ReefLED 90 conversion to LED/T5 Hybrid for SPS Dominant Tank

AcroBrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I drove down from Austin to San Antonio last weekend to go to the Reef Fest there and ended up falling in love with a beautiful frag of CC Pink Highlighter that Raising Reefs (https://raisingreefs.com/shop/cc-pink-highlighter/) had on display. It was a fat frag that was gorgeous and super colorful. I had to have it. Unfortunately my buddy told me that it would be best to keep it around 400 par which is much higher than what my Red Sea Max E-170 can produce on the top of my rock structure. Since he has over 90 types of acros in his tank I trusted his advice and decided that I was going to find a solution to get higher PAR in my tank. I did end up buying the CC Pink Highlighter, but gave it to my friend to keep in his SPS dominant tank until I was ready for it though. I was able to find a solution to be able to get 400 PAR towards the top of my E-170 and that is what this post will be about. If there is more interest I will keep updating it for others with an E-170 that want to increase their PAR.

Okay, so the two options came down to getting the ReefLED 160 which would be an easy swap on the arm that holds my current light or to add a T5 hybrid set up on to my ReefLED 90. After a lot of research I decided that the T5 hybrid mix seemed like the best option because it was cheaper and gave the best of both lighting solutions instead of just using all LED. I found a thread here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reefled-and-aquatic-life-t5-hybrid.605719/ that shows how to install a AL fixture on a ReefLED light, which is what I used and it works perfectly. You can see the fixture I used here https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/24-h...h-led-mounting-system-white-aquatic-life.html (They also have a black one, but my tank is white, so I will link what I used).

*I will put a disclaimer here that the AL T5 hybrid fixture is about 10 pounds and I would be willing to bet that the Red Sea arm is very capable of the extra weight, but not really designed for holding both the ReefLED and AL fixture. This is a DIY project for people that don't have the option to hang the T5 light, which would keep the weight off the Red Sea Arm and use the hanging mounts included in the AL fixture. I am unable to hang the AL fixture because I have 12 foot ceilings and my girlfriend said it would be too ugly. I am probably going to try to find a way to add some extra support for the long term though. Now cue the project music.

Things you will need:
- M4 35mm screws Everbilt M4-0.7 x 35 mm Phillips Flat Head Stainless Steel Machine Screw (2-Pack)-843808 - The Home Depot
- Stainless steel washers https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-10-Stainless-Steel-Flat-Washer-12-Pack-800331/204276461
- Screwdriver
-Optional wire cutters

I started by assembling the AL fixture per the instructions included. I did skip the part where you attach the wires for hanging (I used these for something else) and I did not use the wire hiding bracket on the back since it's not seen and would just add more weight. Once assembled I popped the top off the Red Sea light (They have videos on their website that show how to disassemble for maintenance if you have any trouble with this part) and removed the stock Red Sea screws from the 4 corners. Now you can place the brackets over the front and back holes on top of the light and drop in the 35mm screws with a washer on each one and screw them in. Once this is done you can place the LED light in the middle of the AL fixture and screw the 4 short screws in to the AL fixture channel. The front of the bracket on the front of my light is 17 and 2/3rds inches from the back of the AL fixture and there is a small gap on the back behind the Red Sea arm. Below is a picture of the assembled light from the top.
1627746418557.png

Once this is set up you can plug in the new light and off you go.

(Optional) I did feel like the light wanted to lean forward a little more than I wanted, but definitely not a deal breaker. I made a solution by clipping off one of the wires that is meant to hang the light and using it to secure the back to the Red Sea arm. I will attach pictures below.

1627748774521.png
1627748829533.png

Here is the finished product

1627749103411.png

PAR Readings with different lights:

T5 lights only- The PAR here is a little lower than expected. I think the height of the fixture could be spilling a lot of the light in to the room instead of in to the tank. I may try to find a way to focus more light toward the tank.
Top of my rock structure 150 PAR
Sand bed 100 PAR

Reef LED only at 100% blue and white
Top of my rock structure 250 PAR
Sandbed 150 PAR

Both T5 and LED on full
Top of my rock structure 400 PAR
Sand bed 250 PAR

Success! This new set up will allow me to have an SPS dominant tank and cost around $300 to $350 dollars.

Problems to overcome:
- This light blocks the media rack in the rear sump from coming out. I am going to try to trim it down and see if that fixes it.
- There is a good amount of light that spills in to the room which is kind of giving me a headache while watching TV on the couch
- You can not pull up the arm for maintenance and this light is pretty bulky and in the way.

If there is interest in this I would be glad to keep this updated as I acclimate the coral to this new light and try to solve some of these problems. Also I am lucky enough to own a PAR meter, so if anyone wants some PAR readings at different levels I would be glad to help.

Cheers!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up and thanks for taking the time to share this

OP
OP
AcroBrewer

AcroBrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @RBarth! Yes I am still using it and very happy with it. I currently have about 20 different types of acropora in the tank now that are happy and encrusting. There are some down sides to it that I will lay out below. I have learned to work with the downsides and have a successful tank, but I can't decide if I would do this method again or just go with a more powerful LED, if I could go back in time. It works well and I have been having a lot of success though, so I am not going to spend the money to switch it out now.

A few things to consider as a trade off with this method:
-The lights in the T5s are not nearly as recessed as the ReefLED, so it spills a good amount of light in to the room and if you sit near the tank it can be blinding sometimes. I only keep it on about 6 hours a day though, so it's not too bad.
-The size of the T5 fixture takes up a lot of the room above the tank and is in the way when I am scraping the glass or doing water changes. After some practice you will learn to avoid it some, but I still regularly bump it and hit my elbow on it.
-The media rack is very difficult to get out with this fixture in the way. You can work it out with some effort, but there have been times I have just removed the T5s, which is a 2 person job. Luckily I don't really run much on the media rack, so this is not as big of a deal for me.

As long as you're cool with those downsides, this method does work well and I am growing tenuis like CC Pink Highlighter, Walt Disney and Homewrecker on the top of my rocks where the PAR is around 400.

RBarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great insights! Yeah I'm still on the fence about it honestly. Part of me wants to just run a 90 or an a360x and be done with it. Talked with Kessil a bit ago and they talked me out of their ap9x because I basically have a 2ft cube. Lot of haters on the Reef led 90 but I like the way it looks. Ahhhh the decisions lol.

OP
OP
AcroBrewer

AcroBrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great insights! Yeah I'm still on the fence about it honestly. Part of me wants to just run a 90 or an a360x and be done with it. Talked with Kessil a bit ago and they talked me out of their ap9x because I basically have a 2ft cube. Lot of haters on the Reef led 90 but I like the way it looks. Ahhhh the decisions lol.
Thank you @RBarth ! Ya there are a ton of haters on the ReefLEDs and I honestly am not sure why. Everyone that I know that has used them loves the way they look and gets great growth and color. I think they are just a newer unproven light and also a ton of people hate the Red Sea app. I have had no issues with it though.

Ya there are so many options that it's a little overwhelming sometimes. I am building a new frag tank that will be 5 feet X 2 feet x 16 inches deep and am going to use 3 of these LEDs https://www.reefi-lab.com/reefi-led-uno/ . They are only a little more expensive than the ReefLEDs and about twice the power. A lot of people are raving about them and they have a 3 year warranty also. I bet 1 of those over a Max E-170 would be plenty for SPS. I am still a couple months out from buying them though, so I can only go off of what others are saying at the moment.

RBarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have heard good things about those as well but don't really love the orphek look. My tank is on a custom stand that was designed for a frag tank that I had a decade ago that I wanted at almost eye level so the look of the underside of a light matters to me. One of the reasons I'm not getting reef breeders, well...and no shimmer.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back