Red Sea Max E 170, should I do it?

Nano101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get my bonus check here in a few weeks, and debating about the Red Sea Max E 170 (45G). By dealer can get it for just under $1200. This tank includes all the equipment (including AI Hydra 26 HD). I've never had Red Sea equipment? Thoughts? Alternatives for 40-60 gallon tanks, all in for under $1300

MIReefer78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get my bonus check here in a few weeks, and debating about the Red Sea Max E 170 (45G). By dealer can get it for just under $1200. This tank includes all the equipment (including AI Hydra 26 HD). I've never had Red Sea equipment? Thoughts? Alternatives for 40-60 gallon tanks, all in for under $1300

I'd say it depends on what you want to do. If you don't think you will want to upgrade the equipment ever then the E max is a good choice. If you do like to tinker and upgrade things I'd get either the standard or deluxe version. I went with the standard Reefer 170 because I wanted to source my own equipment and have a better filtration system. The standard Reefer 170 and the Reefer Deluxe 170 both come with the sump, the max E does not. The difference between the two is the deluxe comes with a light (AI Hydra 26) and the standard does not. I didn't go with the deluxe because I planned on hooking up an Apex which at this point in time isn't comparable with the AI Hydra light.

All that being said, the 170 is a great tank but if you have the money/space I'd get the Reefer 250. The 250 has enough room in the cabinet to fit all of your equipment. You are severely limited with the 170 as far as cabinet space and aquascaping

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They seem to run $1450 to $1500 from BRS, so you're getting a nice discount. They are nice tanks, Vivid Aquariums did a YouTube series on setting up a Red Sea Max E170 and another series on a Red Sea Reefer 170. You could watch a few episodes and decide which you prefer. It's a great intro to the tanks. I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to put the Max up against the wall (leaving a inch or two to adjust plumbing??), so the Max is a few inches deeper than the Reefer if that matters for your space.

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I quickly grew out of my 50 gallon that I currently have thinking the maintenance on it would be so easy that it was a main driving factor in choosing that size. I will be upgrading to a bigger tank in the near future..

OP
OP
Nano101

Nano101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. Due to space constraints and the aesthetics of the room it's going in, that's about the max size I want

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back