Red Sea Max-E 170 Stocking

gilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm new to saltwater tanks, but have had successful freshwater tanks previously. I'm in the planning/discovery phase of setting up a to-be reef Red Sea Max-E 170 (45G). I'm still in very early phases because I like to do my research and have an idea of what my end point is before getting started. Being new to the hobby, we are happy with the idea of the AIO. We will start FOWLR and eventually hope to grow into corals, potentially even a mixed reef tank.

I'm interested to know if I'm on the right track for fish stocking ideas (compatibility, appropriate for tank size, etc). We love species interactions so we want 2 clowns (and eventually an anemone if possible), as well as a shrimp goby/pistol shrimp pair. These are our most desirable features. How many other fish can we have and are these good options (in order of interest):

Midas blenny
6 line wrasse or other wrasse (largely for purposes of potential parasite removal) - what is the best wrasse for parasite removal and maintaining a small, peaceful reef tank?

Alternatives:
Royal gamma
Orchid dottyback
Yellow assessor
Firefish
Geometric pygmy hawkfish

Ideally we want fish/species not wild caught and ones that will each have their own niche areas of the tank.

For CUC and/or interesting inverts, we're looking at these guys (in order of interest):

Trochus snail, Nassarius snail, Cerith snail
Emerald crab
Tuxedo urchin
Cleaner shrimp
Pompom crab

Any comments or suggestions are welcome, thanks!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

omar91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I'm downgrading to a Max E-170 and I'm planning of moving the following fish there:

2 Ocellaris clownfish
2 Pajama Cardinal
1 Royal Gramma
1 Six Line wrasse

I also currently have a Tomini Tang that I might re-home as I'm not sure if the E-170 will be enough for it.

All of these fish get along well. The Six line wrasse colors are beautiful, I recommend you one.

How's your research going?

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm new to saltwater tanks, but have had successful freshwater tanks previously. I'm in the planning/discovery phase of setting up a to-be reef Red Sea Max-E 170 (45G). I'm still in very early phases because I like to do my research and have an idea of what my end point is before getting started. Being new to the hobby, we are happy with the idea of the AIO. We will start FOWLR and eventually hope to grow into corals, potentially even a mixed reef tank.

I'm interested to know if I'm on the right track for fish stocking ideas (compatibility, appropriate for tank size, etc). We love species interactions so we want 2 clowns (and eventually an anemone if possible), as well as a shrimp goby/pistol shrimp pair. These are our most desirable features. How many other fish can we have and are these good options (in order of interest):

Midas blenny
6 line wrasse or other wrasse (largely for purposes of potential parasite removal) - what is the best wrasse for parasite removal and maintaining a small, peaceful reef tank?

Alternatives:
Royal gamma
Orchid dottyback
Yellow assessor
Firefish
Geometric pygmy hawkfish

Ideally we want fish/species not wild caught and ones that will each have their own niche areas of the tank.

For CUC and/or interesting inverts, we're looking at these guys (in order of interest):

Trochus snail, Nassarius snail, Cerith snail
Emerald crab
Tuxedo urchin
Cleaner shrimp
Pompom crab

Any comments or suggestions are welcome, thanks!
I only use AIO these days. I’m very tall and so going over the tank is easier than going under.

The only thing I would reconsider is the urchin. They get messy. Mine would pick everything up that it touched and eventually turn into a walking ball of coral shell, sand, algae, etc. I also believe they are prone to starving to death in most tanks. To add insult to injury, they can fowl your water if they die.

I also love nassarius snails but you need to prepare to feed them in your tank. You can throw a 1/2 a silverfish in the sand bed and weigh it down for instance.

Add your goby and shrimp first. They tend to do some rearranging and cause sand storms and you’ll want that out of the way. Definitely worth it but when they first make their home they’re a PITA. Also make sure your rocks are well secured and go down to the bottom.

There are several Wrasses that work well in smaller tanks. I encourage you to lean on sites like liveaquaria for fish size and tank size guidelines.

Please be aware that you can ask any question on here and if all you’re looking for is a “it will be fine” or a “My buddy once put a moray eel in a 5G and it was fine so you should too” answer you will get it eventually.

OP
OP
G

gilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your thoughts!
Since the post we have been playing with the idea of actually getting the 260 (69G) instead of the 170, but we're still on the fence. Part of me wants to just do a really nice smaller tank, but not go too crazy... and part of me feels like I won't really be getting what I want at that size. I think if I do the bigger size, then I'm going to get really involved with it because I could probably do everything I'm looking for. I'm not sure that's a great thing right now!

Most guidelines I'm seeing are suggesting 3G/1" fish, but know this can be variable. Most of the fish we're looking at are about 3" so that's about 1 fish/10G = only 4-5 fish for the 170. 2 clowns, 1 shrimp goby, a wrasse (6 line, or we're also looking at the pink streaked wrasse since it's a little smaller and more peaceful(?), but the colours are also more muted). That leaves us with only one more fish and the Midas blenny might be too big at 5".

I also want to make sure they each have their "niche" (to be good to the fish and to balance the tank/viewing pleasure). I figure the clowns are free swimmers/top half, the shrimp goby is on the bottom, the wrasse will probably be midway and hanging around the rock (?). The Midas blenny I think will also hang around the rock. So I feel another free swimmer (royal gamma) or bottom dweller (geometric pygmy hawkfish) might be better than the blenny. I just hear such good things about their personality!

With the 260 I think I could have all of them:
2 clowns
Midas blenny
Royal gamma
6-line wrasse or pink-streaked wrasse
Shrimp goby/pistol shrimp pair
Geometric pygmy hawkfish

I appreciate someone will probably support anything, but we really want to plan this out and do it right!

Back