Red Sea max nano skimmer help

Marinenewbie92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m not sure if I’m posting in the right place on here! I’ve had my tank up and running for just over 2 months, the skimmer was working really well and the cup was full every few days. A couple days ago the part that you twist to adjust came right off and I can’t find it anywhere, I’ve been told you don’t need it on anyway but since it’s came off there’s nothing been collected in the cup. Can anyone help? Thanks

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help with the specific question but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

OP
OP
M

Marinenewbie92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help with the specific question but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help
Thanks, it’s still doesn’t seem to be working, the bubbles are sitting just below the cup but nothing is making it’s way up

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What part twisted off? The white cap on the air tube?

If so, you don’t need that — the goal is to actually get to the point where you remove it. This just lets more or less air in depending on which way you turn it. To change the water level you raise or lower the bar on the left side, near the filter sock chamber.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Marinenewbie92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What part twisted off? The white cap on the air tube?

If so, you don’t need that — the goal is to actually get to the point where you remove it. This just lets more or less air in depending on which way you turn it. To change the water level you raise or lower the bar on the left side, near the filter sock chamber.
Yeah the bit that you twist fell off, it was working really well before that, I read you don’t need it but bought another just incase , since it’s fell off there’s nothing coming up through the tube into the cup , the bubbles are just sitting below the cup. I’ve tried adjusting the gate , it’s been 5 days now with nothing in the cup. Not sure if there’s something else I’m doing wrong (newbie here)

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the bit that you twist fell off, it was working really well before that, I read you don’t need it but bought another just incase , since it’s fell off there’s nothing coming up through the tube into the cup , the bubbles are just sitting below the cup. I’ve tried adjusting the gate , it’s been 5 days now with nothing in the cup. Not sure if there’s something else I’m doing wrong (newbie here)
My bubbles sit just below the cup so I don’t know that raising them higher would do anything more than give you a wet skim.

Since it’s only 2 months old it may just not be broken in enough to be ready for that white piece to come off permanently (took 6-7 months until I could remove mine) — maybe way too much air is affecting it negatively. If you have the piece I would put it back in and work on adjusting air flow through it, and the gate until you get it dialed in.

OP
OP
M

Marinenewbie92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bubbles sit just below the cup so I don’t know that raising them higher would do anything more than give you a wet skim.

Since it’s only 2 months old it may just not be broken in enough to be ready for that white piece to come off permanently (took 6-7 months until I could remove mine) — maybe way too much air is affecting it negatively. If you have the piece I would put it back in and work on adjusting air flow through it, and the gate until you get it dialed in.
Yeah that’s what I was thinking, it fell off and I’ve lost it , I ordered one from eBay it was slightly different so at the minute it’s just got the stock one on with no cap, ill see what I can do , thanks

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s what I was thinking, it fell off and I’ve lost it , I ordered one from eBay it was slightly different so at the minute it’s just got the stock one on with no cap, ill see what I can do , thanks
What livestock is in your tank? I’m assuming it has cycled? Keep in mind that with a light stock you’re not going to be producing much anyway. Was the skimmate you’d been collecting every couple days brown?

OP
OP
M

Marinenewbie92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What livestock is in your tank? I’m assuming it has cycled? Keep in mind that with a light stock you’re not going to be producing much anyway. Was the skimmate you’d been collecting every couple days brown?
Yeah it’s cycled , I’ve got 2 clowns and 2 green chromis, CUC 5 snails 3 hermit crabs and a cleaner shrimp , yeah it was very brown. There’s no bubbles at all now coming into the tube and into cup so think it must be due to the cap coming off

Back