Red Sea Max Nano - Skimmers that fit?

gerwen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my skimmer pump died, and I'm looking for options to replace the skimmer, which I never much liked.

So far I believe the Tunze 9001 will fit, and possibly the EShoppes Nano.

Does anyone have any experience with these or any others?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my skimmer pump died, and I'm looking for options to replace the skimmer, which I never much liked.
So far I believe the Tunze 9001 will fit, and possibly the EShoppes Nano.
Does anyone have any experience with these or any others?
From what I could find the Tunze 9001 will work.

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea Max Nano is 45cm high. I have a 180L AIO tank that is 50 cm high and use the Tunze 9004 DC. The 9001 and 9004 are both shown in the Tunze catalogue. Tunze have a good reputation for the Skimmers and the internal Skimmer that I have tried is certainly very good. The catalogue also lists the usage and provides a guide for matching the Skimmer with the Tank and what it is used for.

Whilst I could have used the 9001, I decided that the 9004 was nicer and not too much more expensive. At the time, I couldn't order the 9004 and the 9004 DC was offered at the same price. It is certainly a nice Skimmer and the DC Control varies the pump speed whilst the air inlet is fixed. The non-DC one, has a constant speed Pump and the Air Inlet is manually restricted. The housing for the filter has a lever (not fitted on mine) that varies the restriction to vary the air passed through - quite clever arrangement.

The 9004 couldn't be simpler to install. It has two Magnets that attach on the outside of the Tank and holds it in position. The height of the Skimmer is so that the Grills are 50% in the water. It worked straight away and no complaints. It isn't obvious that the Air Inlet is silenced. That is because the upper Magnet has the air tube wrapped around it. Inside it the Magnet housing has a foam insert. So the filter is in the space behind the Magnet and is hidden but very effective.

I like the DC unit, but there is no reason to doubt the efficiency of the non-DC versions. There is the option (on mine) to change the way the skimming is done. Whilst this can be beneficial, the default method is very effective. Five features I like about the Tunze, are:

1. The good quality materials used;
2. The removable housing is easy to clean and stands by itself if removed;
3. The Controller allows adjustment like setting the hands of a clock;
4. The Controller has a "feed/service" button that shuts it off for 10 minutes - for feeding or emptying the housing;
5. There are no bubbles coming out of the unit but it aerates the water - my AIO has a tank lid but pH (gases) is OK.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back