Red Sea Max Nano Upgrades / Questions

Leonard Sixt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to know if anyone has upgraded their (or someone else's) Red Sea Max Nano and if so what was / were the upgrade(s)?

So far I only replaced the ATO with a Tunze Nano Osmolator 3152, putting the top off tank in the cabinet.

The sump has a small area for carbon, and I'm considering using a MiniMax desktop reactor in that area. I'm not sure it will fit though. It looks like the area for media is about 2.5" square, so the MiniMax may fit.

As to the return pump - I'm not having any issues. same with the protein skimmer pump. At least not yet. May want to upgrade them at some point when they get too noisy or break down, but for now all is ok.

Any one out there have anything to share / comment on?

xionggotstyle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked one up. Looks like most people get the tunze 9004 protein skimmer. Someone swapped out the return for a mighty jet. Dunno if that is actually needed. Im gonna throw a mp10 in mine.

bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked one up as well.. My "getting out of the hobby" last a week :) . Broke down a Reefer 425XL, so excited to try the nano. Going with the Tunze 3155 ( actually sold mine, so I had to buy a new one!! Stupid me!!). I was going to put on a MP10, but the nero 5 caught my eye since I can use the same app as the lights.. just wondering if I can dial it down enough to be effective and not overly.

bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well they are the same company.. so you aren't cheating!!

I had full ecotech on my last tank.. so i think it's time to try something new

Kammetal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just upgraded my skimmer to the new tunze dc skimmer. I also replaced the pump with a IM mighty jet, and added a AI Nero 5 with AI hydra 26hd
fdf720c64671aefdf9f17ca479b6eeda.jpg

champtain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set mine up last week, still have stuff coming in. Feel free to follow along on my build page.

So far I just have an MP10, no upgrades to the back. I have an ApexEL on the way and the DOS & DDR.

Obviously I’m waiting on my tank to cycle, so for now it’s mostly just in-cabinet upgrades.

RBReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new to this and just got the RS Max Nano. I also bought the Tunze Nano Osmolator 3152, but have not installed it yet. Reading more reviews it looks like it has a lot of failures. Is yours still running? Does any one have any experience with it? I was also thinking about pulling the skimmer out and do weekly water changes. I do not plan on having a large bio load so I was hoping i could use that area for something else. Thoughts?

sarahgo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new to this and just got the RS Max Nano. I also bought the Tunze Nano Osmolator 3152, but have not installed it yet. Reading more reviews it looks like it has a lot of failures. Is yours still running? Does any one have any experience with it? I was also thinking about pulling the skimmer out and do weekly water changes. I do not plan on having a large bio load so I was hoping i could use that area for something else. Thoughts?
I was thinking about doing the same with mine, and putting in a small area for a fuge. Maybe one of those in tanks fuges. Not sure yet though. I see this post was from September, and I was curious what you ultimately decided to do.

sarahgo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about doing the same with mine, and putting in a small area for a fuge. Maybe one of those in tanks fuges. Not sure yet though. I see this post was from September, and I was curious what you ultimately decided to do.

I have upgraded only the ATO with the Tunze 3155. I wanted to do a HOB fuge or a plumed fuge via overflow, but I am having issues finding something low profile enough to fit between the tank and the wall. I considered moving it to a corner and setting it up caddy-corner style to have room on the back, but then I run into the issue of the power box being in the way. I also thought about DYIing something in the style I need, but I also know what a rabbit hole that can be. Haha!

RBReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Thanks for following my post. So to date I have not done anything. Part of the reason for that is I the tank is newer and I have been going through some growing pains. I had a large hair algae out break so I was running chemi pure blue in the media tray and also I had a Hydor 10 from an old tank that I was running extra carbon and mechanical filters on. It was ugly and hung on the side of the tank. I upped my CUC and now all the algae is gone so last weekend I took off the canister filter and turned off my skimmer to see if the the CUC can handle everything. Also I had a Zoa, that was not doing hot and I thought my water was too clean. Sooo..... my Hydor has an opaque main body so if the no skimmer test goes well I may try and see if I can grow macro in that. I also thought about a hang on the back filter too. I already have mine in a corner and I agree the thought of working in that rabbit hole doesn’t sound appealing!!! I also thought about using the space in the cabinet but I am running an Apex and all my other gear and a 5 gallon ATO jug down there so there isn’t much room. If all goes well with the no skim. I think I am going to do a 2.5 Gal ATO jug and see if I can run the Hydor just to save $. If that can’t work I will look at a HOB for the corner.

RBReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have upgraded only the ATO with the Tunze 3155. I wanted to do a HOB fuge or a plumed fuge via overflow, but I am having issues finding something low profile enough to fit between the tank and the wall. I considered moving it to a corner and setting it up caddy-corner style to have room on the back, but then I run into the issue of the power box being in the way. I also thought about DYIing something in the style I need, but I also know what a rabbit hole that can be. Haha!
Final thought... I returned the Nano ATO and did the 3155... good call on your part!

prosci8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just upgraded my skimmer to the new tunze dc skimmer. I also replaced the pump with a IM mighty jet, and added a AI Nero 5 with AI hydra 26hd
Hello, hard necro on this thread, but trying to find how people are fitting the Tunze 9004 skimmer into the RS Max Nano. Any advice please?

nvcheeko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, hard necro on this thread, but trying to find how people are fitting the Tunze 9004 skimmer into the RS Max Nano. Any advice please?
Mate i dont know how it could fit i have the 9001 and would went 9004 but its much to wide to fit in any of the sections.

Phamousreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought the might jet but it doesn't fit the return chamber, how did you fit yours in there ?

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked one up. Looks like most people get the tunze 9004 protein skimmer. Someone swapped out the return for a mighty jet. Dunno if that is actually needed. Im gonna throw a mp10 in mine.
dude, how does the tunze 9004 fit into the chamber there? I cant imagine... DO you have one in there?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back