Red Sea Max S 650 vs Reefer S 850

gobeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Would like to get your thoughts, experiences, and opinions (we all have those!!)

I’m trying to decide between a Red Sea Max S 650 and a Reefer S 850

I’m leaning towards the 650 because it’s the all-in-one model and if I went to the 850 I’d have to make the additional investment in equipment.

We’re getting ready to tent the house for termites so it’s a perfect time for an upgrade. I’ve got a CadLights 100G that’s been doing great for about 10 years but I’d like to get a bigger tank so now’s the time.

I mentioned the 650 to the guy that helps clean my tank and he said the one that he’s been maintaining was a nightmare (but it’s 5 years old). Said that the flow pump on the back manifold broke and that it was painful to maintain.

Would like to hear from those who have these tanks - what’s your experience (good and bad).

Thanks!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can give you my honest answer on this question, as an owner of a Max S650 (2016) and also a very large custom built system, probably similar to a reefer, but bigger, and to my own exact specifications.

If your new to aquariums, the Max S650 is a very good choice, it’s well built, complete with everything you need, and also self contained and does everything it’s supposed to, so if your inexperienced or are not familiar with the workings of a reef tank and want an easy start get the S650 its a very good system and big enough to keep you happy for many years

And now the BUT.

If your experienced (which it sound like you are) and happy with plumbing, building and more importantly running a tank, go for the reefer (assuming it has a metal not wooden stand which I think they do now!) or much better get one built to your own specification and as big as you can possibly fit in.

The S650 is very difficult to modify because of the way it’s designed, I’ve done several modifications over the years but I’m now restricted as to what I can do with it. I would suggest at some point in the next few years it will be replaced with another custom built system to match my other one and probably link them together. Infact I already have a price for one! Lol

The 4 rear flow pumps are an absolute pain to get out and clean, untangling wet wires, clambering over the back of the tank, in 4 years I cleaned them twice and only when they stopped working, They were replaced and made redundant with 2 MP40’s oh the joy!! Lol

You can see some pictures of the S650 and its big brother on the first page of my build thread in link below and anything else just ask. You will also see from the start of the build what I did with it.

Last edited:

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a S 650 and like it but dont love it. Agreed, its great as long as you dont want to modify anything.
In my opinion the sump design on my V1 tank SUCKS. Doesnt even have a space for filter socks floss or anything. The tank as a whole is nice and just works and it looks nice. I also agree the 4 flow pumps in the back I havent touched in the 5 months or so since I got the tank. Its just a pain to be on the ladder and plucking them from the back with water and stuff getting everywhere.

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never really liked the Max line, I've never owned one, just never liked being restricted on equipment so I always go with the Reefer series. Since I don't keep up with the Max line are the 650 and 850 the same length? I went with the Reefer XXL 625, would have loved a new Reefer-S in the 5' wide range but they only start with 6'.

OP
OP
gobeach

gobeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the Reefer-S 850. My LFS is a rep and said it’d take 6-8 weeks. The guys came today and emptied my 100G - my house is being tented next week so using this as an opportunity to upgrade.

Corey Monster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the Reefer-S 850. My LFS is a rep and said it’d take 6-8 weeks. The guys came today and emptied my 100G - my house is being tented next week so using this as an opportunity to upgrade.
Great choice. Looks like we'll both be getting our S-850s at the same time.

Have you started figuring out what equipment your going to get.

Back